cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla FTP Settings

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Joomla FTP Settings

Now that the Joomla 1.5 iteration is now up to a stable 1.5.4 version I thought I'd restart this query because I am still having an issue with the FTP Settings in Global Configuration.
My FTP settings are set to:-
FTP Host                    cshell.plus.net
FTP Port                    21 (not even sure if this is correct)
FTP Username            myusername
FTP Password            like I'm gonna tell you that! Grin
FTP Root                    /websitedirectory/
Does anyone know if this is in fact correct? because when I enable FTP settings in Joomla some things go wrong and when adjusting files they go from writable to unwritable as a result.
I'd love to get this sorted, I have several J1.5.4 sites and all have the same problem. It's also the same regardless of Rumpus or Humbug DB.
If some one has the definitive global configuration settings for Joomla 1.5.4 on PN I'd be grateful.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Joomla FTP Settings

Probably not significant but I tend to use ccgi.plus.net for the host, the rest looks fine. Does Joomla have the option of setting passive and/or active connections. If so try the other setting to what you do now and see if it's any better
As for the file permissions... it might be related to the security imposed by the ccgi on file permissions. Try uploading a new file using a stand-alone ftp client and see what perms it is saved with - then try changing the file perms to what you want and then uploading it again to see if it resets the perms.
Its also possible Joomla may be setting the file perms itself after upload but as I don't use it it's just a guess.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I think I've tried the ccgi.plus.net when I set up a previous site. I'm sure I read that it needs to be cshell etc on this forum but can't find it now. Will try it again later. Not sure about passive or active connections need to check on Joomla forums for that, can't say I've seen it. Also I think it said along the install route that the ISP settings may be incompatible.
At least you have confirmed that the other settings are correct, which is a place to start again from.
Note: The site(s) is/are working fine and the remedy for pointing domains (another thread) to sub folders you helped with Peter is great RSS is displaying correctly. It's just a little disconcerting to say, adjust the css within the template manager and after saving it now says unwritable. Not a major issue and there is a work round but diconcerting just the same.
Cheers.
Just noticed your footer, Want an old BBC Model B with extras?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Curiouser and curiouser!
In global configuration panel Unable to change settings to ccgi and also switch on FTP getting:-
        * JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
and
An Error has occurred! Unable to open configuration.php file to write!
When applying changes to a template for example I'm getting these error messages:-
        * JFTP::login: Unable to login
        * JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
Operation Failed!: failed to open file /share/storage/01/fr/username/subdirectory/templates/redevo_aphelion/params.ini for writing.
I can however, change any of these settings if I do it in Dreamweaver then upload it and reset permissions to 755 but no combination allows FTP with similar error messages.
Can't find a way to toggle passive or active but it looks like it wants passive could this be the problem running it on PN?
I believe that Joomla really wants to use 777 permissions but PN doesn't allow this so all permissions are 755 by telneting chmod -vR 755 subdirectory as noted in another thread.
Have used fetch FTP too to change permissions etc but they all come back with similar results. Sad

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
I'll gladly give you a hand with it.
If you could give me a pointer to weather JFTP is standard in the Joomla Archive?
Just I can't find it in any logically named Directories xD
Looking at the way this is working I wouldn't have thought using a Remote Hostname would work.
The Manual says the default setting is 127.0.0.1 / localhost
I just blindly Googled "JFTP::login",
got put through to Install Manual via the Joomla Forums.
That's the only logical thing I can see.
Although it's odd that it's not throwing a "Connection" type error...
Hope something there helps...
Jim,