cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla 1.5 requires "index.php" suffix

EddieS

Re: Joomla 1.5 requires "index.php" suffix

Thanks for that. I've appied for the PAYH thing and will try to install Joomla! on that when i get it. Should it be easy to trasfer all of the work I have on the cgi joomla to this new place? Because of these problems with running joomla on plusnet wouldn't it be better to switch to another host? Or are plusnet worth sticking with?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

If you follow this guide you can install a crisp new site http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69399.msg553486.html#msg553486
Then add all the components, modules and plugins  in the usual way tnen the tricky bit is to copy your mysql file and put it into the PAYH mysql  via the PAYH control panel. Come to think of it do this first and remember the prefix you give it so when you go through the Joomla install procedure you can point it at that part of the DB. You may have to put the DB a bit at a time if the file size exceeds the allowed size. Or you could start afresh.
Can't comment on other possible hosts as I've only really been with Plusnet or previously free-online (also plusnet) been with them for around 11 years and on BB for around 9 years. That a good enough recommendation?
EddieS

Thanks so much for your help. I've created a new database within the default domain name that was set up for me with Plesk (i'm using that domain name to test everything). But where do I find the mysql file within my old CGI space? Am i looking for a single file? is it possible to copy all of the articles and categories etc that i set up in one go like that?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

You might like to start here:-
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-&-security/backup/4445/details
or there is mysqldumper but remember you'll need bite sized pieces. Off the top of my head 2M max
EddieS

I'm a bit lost  Sad
I have installed the lazybackup module on my old cgi Joomla and have received a .sql.gz backup file. I'm guessing this contains lots of data from my existing site. I'm installing Joomla on the new plesk space (as per the link quoted earlier). Everything is going well until I get to step 4 in the Joomla installation where i have put;
Database Type: Mysql
Host Name: localhost
User Name: root
Password: my plesk password
Database Name: ???what do i put here???? Should I be putting the backup file from lazybackup into my Plesk space somewhere
I'm sorry to keep posting here but I'm really lost and the computer might be going out the window soon!
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: EddieS
I'm a bit lost  Sad
I have installed the lazybackup module on my old cgi Joomla and have received a .sql.gz backup file. I'm guessing this contains lots of data from my existing site. I'm installing Joomla on the new plesk space (as per the link quoted earlier). Everything is going well until I get to step 4 in the Joomla installation where i have put;
Database Type: Mysql
Host Name: localhost
User Name: root
Password: my plesk password
Database Name: ???what do i put here???? Should I be putting the backup file from lazybackup into my Plesk space somewhere
I'm sorry to keep posting here but I'm really lost and the computer might be going out the window soon!

nearly right.
DB Type is mysql
hostname will be something like this plesk-db??.plus.net Whatever you've been allocated. Should be able to find it in plesk CP
Username will be your username
Database will be whatever your main database name in plesk is.
Database prefix will be jos_ unless you've created a different one (Make sure this is correct or you could cause problems for yourself.
Don't worry too much you'll get the hang of it, I really struggled at first, still do with somethings. I ain't no expert either. Cheesy
Kev Mawson is the star of PAYH but he gets a bit snowed under sometimes so don't bother him uneccessarily, but he was (is) very helpful to me.
EddieS

Thanks so much for your help. I've now copied my website over to the Plesk space (including all my SQL data) and now all I need to do is either upload all of my images, modules, templates etc again or copy over from the CGI space.
The original reason for doing this transfer was to try and make my SEF URL's work and I seem to have half succeeded with this. I have checked the SEF URL box and this works apart from the fact i have index.php in the middle of each of my URL's which is a bit annoying. When I check 'Use Apache mod_rewrite' as yes this takes out the index.php from my URL but then gives me a ' HTTP 404 - File not found.' error when I preview the site. Any ideas on why this happens?
EddieS

Solved it all by myself! Changed to a .htaccess file instead of htaccess.txt