cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla 1.5 requires "index.php" suffix

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Joomla 1.5 requires "index.php" suffix

Just experimenting (once again) with Joomla 1.5 and some bugs still exist but still no joy out of the Joomla forums.
If I type ccgi.mydomain.plus.com/1.5_folder/ into the address bar on the browser the web site comes up without referring to the template style sheet. However, if I suffix it with index.php the site comes up perfectly.
This suffix is not needed with older versions of joomla, my other sites running joomla_1.0.13 go straight to it and displays perfectly.
Is there something I've missed? I suspect there is a work around possibly in the comprofiler but I don't know.
Any help will be appeciated.
Andy
37 REPLIES 37
Davidww

Re: Joomla 1.5 requires "index.php" suffix

I am trying to get Joomla 1.5 running on plusnet as well. As you say it does not seem to work as well as 1.0.x on this server.
I have just worked my way through the Joomla SEF URL guide and I can get the home page to display, but I see the same problem you note about needing index.php. I also find that using most of the links on the web page result in 404 errors from Joomla. Yes Joomla, not the server, that gives a different 404 page.
From the sound of it you have SEF on. With SEF off I could not get as far as this, although it should be simpler and more straight forward.
I have been reading the Joomla forum posts for similar issues. One reason there might not be many sensible answers is that at least some of the problems are configuration / server dependant. I had a test site on my local PC using XAMPP and it worked perfectly. Transfer to plusnet and it did not want to play.
All in all, you seem to be closer to working than I am, but I'm still fiddling. Its a steep learning curve, but it looks worth climbing. I have a few ideas crystallising, but if you have worked out the basic settings for getting a working site, then I will try and spring board off that and let you know how I get on.
One question back to me on the Joomla forum was why are the PHP and MySQL versions on plusnet so old? I can't answer that. It might, or might not be important. If I can figure out how to use PHP5 rather than PHP4 then maybe I will find out.
Good luck
David
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I'm no expert that's why I chose Joomla coz it work right out of the box! okay 1.5 is still in Release candidate and I wouldn't update my working sites with it but the test site worked after a fashion but nowhere near as well as I'd hoped. Also, having deleted all files and started again coz I'm a masochist. Dreamweaver and Fetch FTP always seems to baulk at one or two files or folders. pain in the butt. One day it'll be sorted for the less knowledgeable like me but until then it remains an experiment.
As you say, it is not happy with the plus net set up but I seem to recall reading on the joomla site that your own server is best for full funcionality. Shared servers are always a compromise. but we, the common user can't afford that! çe la vie
Formula: (Can [or 3] of Bass + Long Day) + Late night ichat and the like = Rambling on forum. G'night.
ffupi
Grafter

1)
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&frs_package_id=2
downloaded file
Joomla-1.5.0.tar.gz
2)
Uploaded file to root of ccgi
3)
Created new folder /joomla and put file into this folder
4)
Unpacked file with
<yourplusnetusername>@cshell01:~/joomla$ tar xvzf Joomla-1.5.0.tar.gz
5)
chmod folder joomla and content of folder to 755
<yourplusnetusername>@cshell01:~$ chmod -vR 755 joomla
6)
surfed to administrator page on browser
http://ccgi.username.plus.com/joo/installation/
7)
Followed installation guide
a)
Directive  Recommended  Actual
Register Globals: Off On
Can't change it anyway, and was discussed previously in the PlusNet forum. So clicked to the next admin page.
b)
Database Type mysql
Host Name  humbug or rumpus
User Name  your_PlusNet_username-as_in_email_from_PlusNet
Password as_in_email_from_PlusNet
Database Name as_in_email_from_PlusNet
Advanced Settings
set a prefix for joomla tables e.g. joomla_
c)
FTP not set
d)
Admin email-address and password
8)
Removed folder installation
Done to log in.
9)
In Admin > Global Configuration
set SEO to
Use Apache mod_rewrite Yes
and
renamed in folder /joomla htaccess.txt to .htaccess
(When surfing don't forget to clear cache with F5)
Word_Warrior
Grafter

First class instructions and proved to be much quicker using telnet. However, still need to add /index.php to get template to work.
ffupi
Grafter

Quote from: Word
..still need to add /index.php to get template to work.

No such problem whatsoever.
I was curious about your experience and just installed Joomla (this is the final 1.5 version, not a Release Candidate). Everything works out of the tin!
Should it not address on your ccgi either index.php or index.html I would raise a ticket with PlusNet.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Hadn't realised that stable version was released. Can I just untar over top of existing version? (RC4) or what is the quick method?
Just found this on Joomla site http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_to_1.5_Stable
Following on from previous comments:
try this:-
http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com/nmrfu_cms/
then this:-
http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com/nmrfu_cms/index.php
but 'index.php' is not needed on the same server with Joomla-1.0.13
Will raise a ticket pending your comments.
Latest info: Joomla 1.5.0 Stable (Kehpri) just installed, same problem /suffix index.php required to get page to open correctly with template(s)
NB: Nothing much to see on site as I haven't added any data yet.
ffupi
Grafter

To install the Stable version is the first I would do.
Just put it into another folder on ccgi. For MySQL just choose another prefix for the tables during the installation process.
During
7)
Followed installation guide
On the last page click the button half-way down to populate the installation with sample files (for beginners like you and me important). Otherwise there wont be much to see and learn on the page.
Takes 15minutes.
(The problems on the links you give I believe has something to do with .htaccess and/or the URL not being properly set within Joomla.)
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I untarred the tar gz file in the nmrfu_cms folder and followed your instructions earlier in this thread. Huh changed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess but not changed anything in it.
Can't think why it does this when 1.0.13 works as expected.
ffupi
Grafter

The .htaccess bit I mentioned under point 9) does not matter, I found. I wanted SEO URLs, but I could not manage when I set the other SEO settings.
Why does on the page
http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com/nmrfu_cms/index.php
your Home direct to
http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com/nmrfu_cms/
and there on the completely wrong page the Home direct to
http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com/
Huh
Is there any other settings within Joomla where the URL is (wrongly) set?
Is there a .htaccess in root of ccgi?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I have many other folders in root but the only file says .bash_history
ffupi
Grafter

Is this the Stable Joomla 1.5?
ffupi
Grafter

Gotscha!
I tried and tried and I am sure that is it:
There needs to be a .htaccess redirect in root of following kind:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^ccgi.frizzell.plus.com$ [nc]
RewriteRule (.*) /nmrfu_cms/$1

Would you be so kind to try that for me and put this new .htaccess directly into root, and then just surf to http://ccgi.frizzell.plus.com .
I have a domain redirect into the folder /joomla , this is the reason why it works (http://www.mydomain.tld). However, with a ccgi.username.plus.com/joomla it produces the same problems you have. I guess, Joomla needs to go directly into the root of ccgi for the simplest of installation. And when we put it into a folder we need to do a redirect into the folder.
YES: it works. Checked it myself (small change in .htaccess done).
Please tell me if yours works.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Yes it's Joomla stable now. but index.php is still required.
The tests you suggest will have to wait till thursday now as I have to go away tomorrow and I have to have an early night tonight.
Thanks for your help, will hook up when I'm back.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: ffupi
Gotscha!
I tried and tried and I am sure that is it:
There needs to be a .htaccess redirect in root of following kind:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^ccgi.frizzell.plus.com$ [nc]
RewriteRule (.*) /nmrfu_cms/$1

Found a few minutes this morning but it doesn't Work. Getting :-
[font=Verdana]Internal Server Error[/font]
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, support@plus.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
It also screws up the other cms folders.
It's 5.15 am and now have to get to London, Bye.
Quick edit: I've deleted the .htaccess folder in the root now.