cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joomla 1.5.6

Petershelper

Joomla 1.5.6

Can anyone tell me how you get Joomla 1.5.6 to install and run on the CCGI webspace of Plusnet. I have uploaded the files using FileZilla and I can see the files using my browser and FTP://CCGI etc, . When I attempt to view CCGI.username.plus.com I get a 'CCGI Error: Execution of this script not permitted' screen with a variety of information related to my specific information.  The list of specific data is shown below with my personal info left out.
Execution of (index.php) is not permitted for the following reason:
Script is not executable. Issue 'chmod 755 filename'
Server Data;
  Server Administrator/Contact:
  Server Name:
  Server Port:
  Server Protocol:
  Virtual Host:
Request Data:
  User Agent/Browser:
  Request Method:
  Remote Address:
  Remote Port:

Thanks for any +ve feedback that would be suitable if you were considering teaching a 12 year old - not that I am, I just feel about that age in relation to the learning curve involved.
Just one final thing to say HHEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!
G
12 REPLIES 12
the_norris
Grafter

Re: Joomla 1.5.6

Hi
I followed this very good guide :  http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/55
I know it is for mambo - mambo and joomla are about the same thing. 
TIP it is easier download the file direct to the ccgi server then to download to your PC, extract then upload to CCGI.
Tip2 - don't put the file in the CGI-BIN folder.
TIP3 - If you have upload ok and not the CGI-BIN folder - you just need to do the fixphpperms bit.
Any questions just ask.  I've got both Joomla and mambo installed to my CGI and working.
Phil
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The important part of that tutorial is the fixphpperms.sh -r command which will set the correct permissions on your php files and allow them to be run. You run it from your cshell command line in your root directory and it recuses down all the directories looking for php files.
You cannot put php files in the cgi-bin folder as they will not work.
Petershelper

Hi folks,
I initially attempted to follow http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1944/305/ in relation to the related file after I uploaded everything to the root directory. I moded and imported the necessary file suggested a little later in this step using phpmyadmin. The MySql parts loaded OK into the database and align with the Joomla aspects.
My quandary was what exact information in relation to my Plusnet account goes where in the configuration.php-dist file before renaming it to configuration.php.
My latest ftp upload software is now FireFTP which hangs on to my Firefox browser and seems to work a little better than the FileZilla I downloaded. Previously I had uploaded with FileZilla and then deleted, but FileZilla would not delete everything. The FireFTP deleted what was left over no problem.
However I have since used the telnet and carried out the fixphpperms.sh -r and it seems to have done something on the telnet since myusername@cshell## appeared twice after this but it took about three minutes to carry out.
Now my website on CCGI comes up with:
Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL
Thanks for the pointers so far. This thing will work eventually.
George
Petershelper

Hi Folks,
One more step along the road I go...
Having got past the last hurdle by checking and modifying some of the requirements in file 'configuration dot php' in the root CGI directory what now appears on my initial screen is as follows on the web 'Home' page ccgi.fivewilsons.plus.com
If you highlight above the top of the Joomla template border there is some warning text.
I am stuck now!!!!
George
the_norris
Grafter

Hi
It looks like a error in the configuration.php file.
It might be a idea to start again - with knowing the code of joomla inside out myself - will be hard to diagnose.
I can write a step-by-step guide for you if you like just for joomla?
The only tools that I used where PUTTY (ssh client = like telnet) and smartftp  (ftp client). - all free software too!
Phil

Petershelper

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the help.
I ended up clearing ALL folders and data apart from CGI-BIN folder from my root directory
I dropped all the tables from the database side of things.
I used telnet to do
wget http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/8232/30036/Joomla_1.5.6-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz

It then took me a little to get the syntax sorted out until I got
tar -xvzf Joomla_1.5.6-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz
I then attempted to access the program which I had put in a folder 'Joomla' that I had created in the root directory.
Nothing was happening. Then I recalled the fixphpperms.sh -r that had been mentioned.
I used the 'telnet' to add this line - it took a little while to respond.
I then gained access then to my web page with the '/Joomla' added to the end and went through the install process.
I deleted the 'installation' folder and contents when prompted using the FireFTP add on for Firefox.
I then managed to get into the administration part of Joomla and changed a couple of the user settings.
When viewing the page now, all I got was 'content'. The 'presentation'  info such as the 'Template' and other things weren't accessible.
In order to see my web home page with 'content' and 'presentation', I then had to move all folders and files from inside the 'Joomla' folder I had created and move them to the root directory.
phewwwwww!!!!
I'm going for a cup of tea before I think about populating the site afresh.
Good fortune to all who use Joomla on Plusnet, or any other ISP.
George
the_norris
Grafter

Just see your private message to my.
Looks like you have cracked it now.
I've found that firefox is not too good to use to administer the site - use IE.  I had problem added sections etc - would only work in IE.
Phil
Petershelper

Hi Phil,
I haven't noticed any problems with Firefox 3 so far.
George
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Having uploaded with Dreamweaver and also telnet'd the tar file direct to ccgi folder telnet. It's a no brainer, telnet wins for speed and simplicity. also it's relatively error free (how many of us have waited for the untarred files to upload for ages and ages only to find an upload error or the server timing out!!!
Telnet every time for me now.
Now, if you follow this link:- http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58856.msg488909.html#msg488909
you'll find the best way of uploading Joomla to the ccgi server. It's wayyyyyy faster than uploading an already unzipped file.
Whatever you do as said earlier, don't put it in the cgi-bin. you can put it in the root or a new directory/folder but it won't work in the cgi-bin.
smallboxes

Hi, this is great post and really helpful. I've decided to intall Joomla 1.5.7
Installation went OK, but after I deleted the installation directory all I got was content on 'presentation'.
I moved the files to the 'root' of the cgi folder, as metioned above and this now works great.
But if I try and log on to the admin I get (I've changed username here)
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: stripos() in /share/storage/04/sm/username/libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php on line 675
Why is this and why would you upload to a sub folder, only to move all the files back to the root?
Once I've got this working I intend to draw up a 'installation guide' for others
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: the_norris
I followed this very good guide :  http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/55

Thanks.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

At present I don't think it's advisable to go for Joomla 1.5.7 as it has php5 stuff in it. I did an upgrade patch from 1.5.6 to 1.5.7 and the front end login went walkabout giving an error message. There is a work around on the Joomla web site but I worry about modding code and making your site different to the norm. The good news is that contrary to one of my recent posts, php5 is coming to us.