cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a DNS or general PN netwk problem today (Tue 12 Nov 2019) ?

paulh
Rising Star

Is there a DNS or general PN netwk problem today (Tue 12 Nov 2019) ?

I'm getting all sorts of slowdowns, sites failing to load etc.

Just trying to get onto the BT service status checker fails.

Have we got a known generalised network issue at the moment ?
Couldn't see anything on the PN portal service status page.

bt.png

35 REPLIES 35
skck
Dabbler

Re: Is there a DNS or general PN netwk problem today (Tue 12 Nov 2019) ?

Same problem here too. Very slow, several seconds to respond to page requests and sometimes failure notice. Several days, some worse than others. Plusnet please comment and resolve. Thanks.

paulh
Rising Star

OK I just switched ona  VPN and now everything works again.

nslookups/traceroutes all work ok (which are either timing out or v slow on native PN), all websites load ok, connections to api endpoints all fine again

Looks like there's a PN/BT DNS problem that needs attention.

skck
Dabbler

I called them and they said no problems, but there definitely are, and expect you are right with your analysis. Hopefully, more will report, especially if BT affected too.

geehawk
Rising Star

I'm experiencing this too. Have been all day.

mark752

logged in just to see if other PN members experiencing as I am, given the main PN Service Status shows no issues.  Likewise.  I use a lot of music streaming while I work.  Very slow to load music apps, painfully slow web site loading - even Plus Net's own site took about 15 seconds to load the page this afternoon.  Something must be wrong, even if not being admitted too.  Started I think late yesterday afternoon....  

geehawk
Rising Star

Just set my router to use Google DNS servers and everything instantly sped up to 'normal'.

Davidspeers
Dabbler

I am on Fibre and was getting this problem all yesterday evening, although it did seem much better by 11PM.

Websites were slow to load if they did at all, whilst a speedtest app could not connect to servers intermittingly.

I am at work now but will update this thread when I have seen how it is later this evening.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything else as it is occuring across all broadband platforms.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SteveKK

Clearly a PlusNet DNS issue at the moment as name resolution has been very slow all afternoon.  My Hub One is my DHCP server and it is using the following DNS addresses as pushed by Plusnet: 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10.  On my local computer I change the DNS to use the Google DNS servers and my name resolution issues have gone away.  Your service status states no current issues, but the reports on here point to potential issues.

Is anyone working on this DNS issue?

Regards,
Steve

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi all, thanks for posting these issues, I've been looking into them this afternoon and can confirm after we replicated it in-house that it looks we're having a few problems that manifest to the customer as slow/failed DNS.

The DNS queries when getting to the servers resolve fine, but not all requests are reaching the servers.

We're looking into it now.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Been having the same problem here this afternoon, sites slow to download and occasionally timing out, switched to OpenDNS servers and problem solved, something causing slow down with Plusnet DNS

SteveKK

Jono,

Thanks for the update and good luck finding the solution quickly.

Regards,
Steve

mark752

Ive now pointed my Router DNS look up at Cloudfare 1.1.1.1 and Google 8.8.8.8 as Primary and Secondary, on the basis that if one service is down the other ought to be up.  That said, I've never been 100% clear on how a Broadband Router's Primary and Secondary DNS lookups actually work, but I assume that's it.  Thought better than both pointing as the same Service provider.  Happy to be corrected! 

Suspect the PlusNet DNS issues have been trundling on a while.  I sometimes get a DNS lookup error refusing to accept my first email of the day... and that's happening for more than a year. Probably unrelated though.

SteveKK

Mark,

Sound logic and I guess I'm just being lazy, because I can always remember the Google DNS servers.  Splitting a service between 2 providers is alway a good solution for resilience and redundancy.

Regards,
Steve