Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is telnet still available?

cjakeman
Dabbler

Is telnet still available?

Hi,
Long-time user but not attempted telnet connection before. Searching the forum suggests that telnet used to be available and there were no special requirements, but attempting to connect to my CGI space with the Windows tenet client using:
[tt]Microsoft telnet> open ccgi.jakeman.plus.com[/tt]
just leads to "Connect failed". Asked for PlusNet support on Wednesday but no reply yet (It's Saturday today).
Is telnet still available? Is anyone currently accessing their CCGI space with it?
Thanks,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is telnet still available?

Telnet access to CCGI was disabled in August 2009 due to security implications I believe
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's correct. Which, of course, precludes actions entered on the command line including interactive scripts. Options are to use an FTP client and/or running bash shell scripts through the web interface to your ccgi space.
David
cjakeman
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim and spraxyt,
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know and I can work easily enough with a bash script .
Why is it so difficult to find this out? Have I missed an essential summary of the services available to customers?
Thanks again,
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just did a search on the forums for "telnet ccgi" as I couldn't remember when it was disabled.
AFAIK it isn't documented