cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is plusnet going to do a Talk Talk and force people to FTTP?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Is plusnet going to do a Talk Talk and force people to FTTP?

@corringham 

From the OpenReach website

"Standard broadband, or ADSL, uses the copper phone line network to deliver your broadband connection"

When the PSTN service is withdrawn then it follows ADSL will follow. As it happens, OR are planning for this. See

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/04/openreach-begins-isp-pilot-of-all-ip-solution-for-adsl...

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bmc  That ISP review article appears to state that ADSL lines ( all 4 million of them ) will continue to be used for broadband and VOIP phone services after the withdrawal of PSTN which is not the withdrawal of copper lines. If there is no alternative ADSL and FTTC users will stay on the existing copper lines.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@bmc wrote:

@corringham 

From the OpenReach website

"Standard broadband, or ADSL, uses the copper phone line network to deliver your broadband connection"

When the PSTN service is withdrawn then it follows ADSL will follow. As it happens, OR are planning for this. See

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/04/openreach-begins-isp-pilot-of-all-ip-solution-for-adsl...

Brian

Read the article you reference again - it says just the opposite of your conclusion. ADSL will be used to provide the SOTAP connection.. It needs the copper wires to do that. Copper is not being universally withdrawn for may years yet.

It is just PSTN that is being withdrawn by 2026.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I have no idea how it will be done but the way I see it is all it needs for an ADSL and/or phone service is a simplified version of the current FTTC cabinet. The copper can stay to the premises and the phones use VoIP. Maybe you could reuse FTTC cabinets that are not needed in FTTP areas. If necessary you could put the cabinets in the street outside of a redundant exchange  It shouldn’t be hard.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

ADSL exchanges will remain until they are eventually replaced by FTTP.

Most ADSL exchanges are either small rural exchanges (so no significant land value - in my area it is just a large shed),  or part of larger urban exchanges which will be needed as FTTP head-ends.

They won't be replaced by cabinets - rural areas are too sparse to make cabinets economic, and urban ADSL tends to be close to the exchange so are better served from the exchange.

Personally I expect some rural areas that are served by altnets will not have OR FTTP built ever. Once PSTN is gone then the universal service obligation for phones will go - as long as  property has a network connection (e.g. altnet, or 4G) that meets the broadband USO, BT (or Kingston) will have no obligation to provide a connection.