cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have another fibre service at another address?

Andrea2006
Grafter

Is it possible to have another fibre service at another address?

Not sure how to go about this but I have fibre and telephone at my current house but I will be moving soon.
I want to get fibre at my new address but also want to keep the fibre at my current address because my parents are there. I would pay for them both and they would both be in my name but not sure if I could even do this. Does anyone know if this Is possible?
25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Is it possible to have another fibre service at another address?

@Andrea2006 Yes, totally possible. You simply arrange for a service at your 'other' location with whichever provider you choose.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Andrea2006 

If this is impossible then it suggests that two unrelated people who happen to have the same name could not both be customers of an organisation.

Be aware though that billing addresses will presumably be different

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

All you need to do is sign up with whatever ISP is available in the new location and keep the old connection going at your parents as it is now.

As far as i know its not possible to have two locations on one account.

At the moment Plusnet do not sell or provide fibre connections, so you will need to pick another Internet service provider, those currently providing fibre are:

•  Andrews and Arnold
  • Aquiss
  • BT
  • Cerberus
  • EE
  • Fibre net
  • Giganet home
  • LCC comunications
  • Orbitalnet
  • Pine media
  • Sky
  • Spectrum internet
  • Structured communications
  • Syscom
  • Talk Talk
  • Uno
  • Vodafone
  • Zen

Add into that, that at your parents location copper delivered internet services are due to be phased out, and as plusnet do not supply fibre ( copper only ) it may be time to start looking elsewhere as plusnets copper services will no longer be available

jab1
Legend

To follow from @pint 's comment: You will only get 'true' fibre if your new property is in an enabled area, otherwise you will be limited to 'Fibre To The Cabinet' or FTTC, where the last leg - from the Distribution Point to your house - will still be over copper cable.

Note also that the list provided does not mean that all those providers will be available to you - some only provide services in 'localised' areas.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@pint 

I can accept that you can’t have two services at different addresses on one account. That doesn’t mean that you can’t have a separate account for each address, which was my assumption.

The assumption that Plusnet will not be able to provide a FTTP service by the time that there is widespread roll out of this as the only option is to assume that Plusnet will disappear. If this happens then no doubt there will be incentives to join EE or BT.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Andrea2006 wrote:
I want to get fibre at my new address but also want to keep the fibre at my current address because my parents are there. I would pay for them both and they would both be in my name but not sure if I could even do this.

Substitute 'daughter' for 'parents' and that is my present arrangement, so yes, perfectly possible.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

And if both accounts are with the same ISP, don't forget to ask for an ongoing discount. 😀  Losing you will be like losing two customers so they'd better be nice to you.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

The OP simply spoke about "fibre" - this could be either FTTC or FTTP

Brian

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

So called "FTTC" delivered by VDSL is copper, in the same way as FTTE (Fibre to the Exchange)  delivered by ADSL2 is also copper

My understanding is that in the next few years Open reach will withdraw the copper services, in some areas this has started and you can no longer order new copper products or change/update any existing copper based services.

As plusnet do not offer Fibre services, they are effectively a dead ISP and if you are dealing with a connection for a property that you are not present at - and it has access to FTTP it might be better to sign up to an ISP with a future as opposed to one that will no longer be available.  plus it will avoid any future hassle

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@bmc wrote:

The OP simply spoke about "fibre" - this could be either FTTC or FTTP

@bmc 's right, we're just confusing the OP who only asked if another line could be provided to another address and  be charged to an existing account. This needs a reply from a Plusnet Rep. If this is not possible, and don't see why not, then the OP will have to look at alternative options.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Confusion is a consequence of the smoke and mirrors 'con' of calling VDSL by the name of 'fibre'.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

We ‘experts’ have to accept that to the ordinary user ‘fibre’ is just a generic name....

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

But enough to make them think they have fibre, which will confuse the hell out of some people when they're offered genuine fibre in the form of FTTP at some point in the future.

jab1
Legend

Not looking for an argument here, guys, and I may be looking at this from a slightly different angle, but I am now on Fibre To The Cabinet, which means to me, that the last ~400m of my connection is over the old copper cable, but the connection from my exchange to the cab is  over fibre optic cable. 'True fibre' or FTTP might just get to me sometime between now  and 2025, if I am lucky, want it or even be here to enjoy it.

As it stands, I'm extremely grateful for the near six-fold increase in speed and I ain't worrying about semantics. 😉

John