Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok to rename my access log file?

FIXED
Vega
Rising Star

Is it ok to rename my access log file?

Due to the nature of one of my websites (being about one particular event in time), now that this event is fast approaching my visits are increasing dramatically causing my access log file to get quite large (ccgi platform). Is it the case that I simply rename it in file manager (for a backup purposes) and a new one gets created automatically? or is it not that simple?

Thanks for any help

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Is it ok to rename my access log file?

Fix

Have you taken a look at the Log Manager application which is available in the control panel? You might need to click "More" at the end of the Advanced collection to see this.

Log Manager only displays archived logs, you'd need to rotate (restart) them using the button to pick up the current one - and achieve what you are asking. Smiley

My logs automatically rotate at the end of each month with the old log dated and archived. Clicking the "Date" column header will display the logs in date order. Click again to get newest first.

You can download and/or delete old logs if you wish.

David
Vega
Rising Star

Thanks David, yes the log manager allowed me to rotate log files and download/delete as appropriate. My website is about the great american eclipse so you can probably imagine the kind of spike in visits I have been getting this week (and will get over the weekend!).

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Indeed, It's good to hear your visitors are finding the site and its content proving useful. Thumbs_Up

David