Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Wordpress on PlusNet

FIXED
Stampy
Grafter

Installing Wordpress on PlusNet

Hi all..

I'm trying to install Wordpress on my PlusNet webspace - I've done the following:-

Enabled PHP v5.6 in the PHP Manager

Setup a MySQL database

Copied all the Wordpress files into this directory ---> http://ccgi.<username>.plus.com/wordpress

However, when I go my webspace, I get the following error:-

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, or webmaster and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Am I missing something?

Would appreciate any advice?

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Installing Wordpress on PlusNet

Is the wordpress folder a sub-directory of 'public'? If not, it needs to be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Stampy
Grafter

Yes it is..

I've even put Gabe's script (from another thread) in the public directory:-

However, If I go to any of :-

http://ccgi.yesfan.plus.com/

http://ccgi.yesfan.plus.com/public/wordpress

- I still get the 500 Internal Server error

Any ideas?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

Give it another blast now at the /wordpress URL, should be working.

It's something to do with the PHP Manager. When selecting a different version of PHP it's adding an .htaccess entry that's causing problems:

AddHandler phpCGI .xml .php
Action phpCGI /cgi-bin/php5.6fcgi

I've changed you back to PHP 5.3 (shouldn't cause problems with Wordpress, and will be upgraded at the end of the month anyway) and renamed your .htaccess files to htaccess.bak and htaccess.bak2

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As Bob mentioned using PHP Manager to change the PHP version to 5.6 has some undesirable side effects. WordPress will work fine with the present PHP 5.3 default and I suggest staying with that..

If you go to http://ccgi.<yourusername>.plus.com/wordpress the configuration process starts (with the Choose Language) page. I assume you'll want English (UK).

David
Stampy
Grafter

Thanks chaps...

Everything appears to be working now....  Wink

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@spraxyt wrote:

WordPress will work fine with the present PHP 5.3 default and I suggest staying with that..

A word of caution!  Some plug-ins - notably the recent upgrade to Xcloner - now require PHP 5.4 as a minimum.  Had to upgrade PHP on two sites yesterday.

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks @MauriceC

My installed copies of WordPress work OK with PHP 5.6. However PHP versions selected using PHP Manager run as fastcgi rather than Apache modules. That means any PHP directives in .htaccess files are ignored - you have to set them in customised php.ini files. PHP Manager assists with creating the required files but it is also necessary to replace some of the default configuration settings. I won't expand on this here.

Getting 500 Internal Server Errors is often caused by having disallowed configuration directives in .htaccess - that might have been the problem @Stampy had here (rather that selection of PHP 5.6).

However sight of the .htaccess files in webspace root (/) and document root (/public) would be needed for diagnosis.

David