cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infonet Services Corporation popups

subspace

Infonet Services Corporation popups

For the last few weeks on my Android phone on WiFi I have been getting popups redirecting me to Infonet Services Corporation to fill in a survey to win a prize. The page seems to suggest I am a corporate user of theirs. Aren't they the lot that Plusnet buy their broadband from wholesale?

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Infonet Services Corporation popups

Hiya subspace. The pop-ups are spam (MAYBE you have an infection on your phone), PlusNet get their broadband wholesale from BT - but they have bought IP blocks from Infonet S.C.and some IP location services have not updated their records to reflect this change. Therefore, any site which uses the out-of-date location services will show you as being with Infonet (wrongly).

John
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just to confirm what jab1 has said, those surveys aren't actually from us so it's best to ignore them and check for virus/malware on your device.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
subspace

I am 99% certain it is not malware on my phone. I only ever download apps from the play store which are all scanned by Google and I run AVG on it and it's not rooted. If it was malware why is it directing me to a legitimate business like Infonet? Why does the page I am directed to greet me as an Infonet corporate user?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Why does the page I am directed to greet me as an Infonet corporate user?

It'll be picking up on the IP address you're connected to and just pulling the company name from that, it's pretty common I'm afraid.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.