cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in webspace

DonaldWM

Increase in webspace

Should I run out of webspace, which may well be likely, is it possible to request more space than my residential account entitles me to (currently 250Mb) or am I stuck with a fixed and unchangeable amount?
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Increase in webspace

Unfortunately you can only have 250mb and this is not changeable. You could upgrade to a business account, this would double your webspace and data tansfer allowances for the websites to 500mb/500mb or alternatively use our sister company http://www.pay-as-you-host.com
Hope this helps,
ffupi
Grafter

Are symlinks supported?
glyndev
Grafter

Or sign up for a PAYG account with +net. Either FREE or £4.99p per month.
Details at http://www.plus.net/residential/dialup/payasyougo_feature_list.shtml

Matt.
Had a look at the PAYH site and tried to have a login to the demo account but get "The username and password you supplied were not recognised" using both NS 9.0b2 or IE 6.0.2900
klyne
Grafter

I am glad someone asked this question. I appreciate that Plus Net have a quite generous webspace allowance but it seems that if you are getting near your limit you don't have so many options. Its all very well suggesting a business account but that requires an almost doubling of the monthly fee. Surely Plus Net could come up with an option of say buying an extra 50mb of space? The trouble is that if an individual runs out of space they then have to look at webhosting elsewhere and that dilutes the argument for staying with Plus Net as an ISP!
David
samuria
Grafter

you can get a gig from
http://www.110mb.com/
for free with sql php etc
or
http://www.phpnet.us/
give
    *  300 MB free web space
    * 6 GB free monthlly bandwidth
    * Fantastico type script installer
    * Control Panel
    * MySQL database
    * PHP enabled web space
    * No maximum file size
    * All file types allowed
    * Free FTP account
    * Free sub domain: you.phpnet.us
    * No forum posting required
    * No setup fee
    * Instant activation
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That's not bad for free, though it's only marginally greater than what PlusNet offer and I notice they say force you to have adverts on your site (not surprising really).
I guess it depends on what the OP is looking for (space, bandwidth, whether PHP or databases are required, etc.), but you're going to have to look at some cheap hosting. Most of the free providers seem to display adverts (well I don't know of any which don't), which personally I can't stand, but if you're happy with that then fine
I don't know why PlusNet do an option for say an extra £1 per month for more webspace, seems a good way of making more money .. how much does storage cost these days? Still I guess there is not enough demand for it.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The demand is not that high as there have only been a few posts on the old forum asking for this.
The primary reason is PNs internal systems were never designed to have the option of paid for additional webspace and due to demand (i.e. very little) the cost of the work involved in adding this would never be covered by the number of people who would end up paying for it. Thus there is no commercial benefit in doing it.
PNs webspace is generous compared to many other ISPs
samuria
Grafter

The 2 host i quoted dont have any adverts as i have webspace with them
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah ok I stand corrected, I did see something within their T&C's which said they 'may' place adverts.
I guess they don't do at the moment, but reserve the right to do so in the future.