cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the Broadband usage I see the category "others" present, what TCP/UDP packet types is this

JohnP2
Dabbler

In the Broadband usage I see the category "others" present, what TCP/UDP packet types is this

Recently on the network I manage as a volunteer I have seen a large 6GB daily  increase in network traffic.

The usage show  that this is primarily of the packet type "Others".

What  TCP packet type does  Others  include?

The Network is a very simple one, comprising of an EPOS system that swaps data every 10 mins by FTP with  its supplier.
There is another office PC on the network but this only switched on for admin/email use  and then off again, there is no WiFi connected to this ADSL router.  In the last 10 days I have seen a sudden jump in network usage by an extra 6GB a day.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

JohnP

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: In the Broadband usage I see the category "others" present, what TCP/UDP packet types

Hi John.

Whilst it probably doesn't help too much, the Other category is basically anything that can't be identified in the specific categories listed. Is there any usage showing when all your computers/devices turned off, for example at a weekend?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JohnP2
Dabbler

Re: In the Broadband usage I see the category "others" present, what TCP/UDP packet types

Gandalf,

Thank you for your reply.

The EPOS server and EPOS web-bridge  PC are working  24/7.   The  web-bridge exports
the database to our supplied  and get back database changes for all the online sales item bought
through our website.  We are a heritage railway so people can buy their tickets online.

The transfers are by FTP  every 10-15mins so I would expect this to be the most predominant packet type.

The large amount of others  is suspicious (see my current breakdown).  I am tempted to  plug my Netbook

into the switch to investigate the packet types 

Peak time usage (8am - Midnight)   Off-peak usage (Midnight - 8am)

Activity Peak usage Off-peak usage Total usage
Web 1.88GB 599.79MB 2.48GB
Email 63.88MB 0KB 63.88MB
Broadband phonecalls 10.6MB 1.03MB 11.63MB
Gaming 0KB 0.99KB 0.99KB
Streaming 50.27MB 23.9MB 74.17MB
PlusNet FTP 0KB 0KB 0KB
Peer-to-peer 0.43KB 3.03KB 3.46KB
Usenet 0KB 0KB 0KB
FTP (non PlusNet) 19.13GB 9.83GB 28.96GB
Other 20.38GB 9.74GB 30.11GB
Total usage so far 41.51GB 20.19GB 61.7GB

Do you have any suggestions.   

JohnP

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't imagine automated processes behave differently during daytime and at night so each day one would expect these to record 1 unit during 8 hour off-peak and 2 units during 16 hour peak. The significant usage under Web, FTP (non-Plusnet) and Other follows this pattern suggesting these arise through automation.

When traffic prioritisation was in use the emphasis was on classifying downloads ahead of passing through infrastructure bottlenecks. Upload traffic was generally of smaller volume and had already passed through these bottlenecks by the time it reached Plusnet. One can speculate that perhaps the latter is classed as Other.

With this application is database upload and download volume likely to be similar? I wonder if Other represents upload traffic.

Are you able to count download and upload traffic separately?

David
JohnP2
Dabbler

David,

Thank you for your reply.

The EPOS uploads 14MB of XML and  a small subset of altered records is downloaded (<1MB)

as database updates.  I personally think that expired product information is still being exported and need delisting.  I'm 

avoiding another volunteer IT role of  the DB administrator.

I think  I need to do a traffic analysis at the router and the switch.  

JohnP