cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a total mess and need some help please

Jekyll
Grafter

In a total mess and need some help please

I feel a total idiot as I have been trying to do things with my webspace, but as I have virtually no knowledge of what to do I am in a right mess.........first off I don't even know if what I am trying to do is allowed but as I know nothing about any of this I can't even explain what I am trying to do, I'll try but please understand that I am somewhat slow on the uptake of things so please be patient, its alot to ask I know but this is all through no fault of my own, but I am not going to go into this on here, its just not the place for personal stuff:
Ok here goes, a few days ago I downloaded this: (I'll have to use links where I can)
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/
It is the phpBB3.0.0 version I downloaded, I also on the advice of my Members area downloaded Cuteftp and have been trying to upload the above linked file/s
I have now got a yellow folder called phpBB3 on my ftp page next to the plusnet index.html
Where I go from here I have no clue, nor even if what I have done is allowed, I am so sorry if what I have done is wrong, but I guess I should not have bothered seeing as I don't understand anything.
I am trying but really could do with some guidance from someone who knows if possible........but if its too much to ask then no worries, I'll make do with my old forum, even though I'd rather not  Sad  Embarrassed a fresh start is always good (if you know what your doing)
Jekyll  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: In a total mess

Hi Jekyll
It looks like you are trying to put a Forum on the home pages Server yes?
Sorry but it will not work on there, you need to get it installed on the CGI Server.
[Edit]
This was on Changing Address and I asked for help for you!

Jekyll
Grafter

Hello Midnight Caller,
I guess yes would be the answer to your question, but was thinking that maybe this is not the right place........as nothing seemed to work Roll_eyes  Embarrassed
I know it was in the other thread but as that started out as something different I thought it best to begin a new thread.........but thank you for asking for help for me, I never ask for anything of people as I'm always letdown, so now I leave it up to other people to offer help, it maybe wrong to do that but its how things have affected me over the years  Sad

Jekyll  Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi Jekyll
It won't work on the home pages Server.
Sorry but you need some help off one of the members, to get it up and running.
Jekyll
Grafter

Okay well I'll have to sit tight and wait for a kind soul to come to my aid  Smiley
But thank you again for helping my cause  Wink
Jekyll
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: In a total mess and need some help please

PJ can you do it for him?
Jekyll
Grafter

Ok here is where I am at, I have now got my CGI active in my members area, but I have not yet received an email with all the details that I need, perhaps this is because of Easter as afterall everyone needs a break  Smiley
I did try to go to my CGI page but it says I am not authorized to view that page, but as I say this might be due to the holidays, then again what do I know  Smiley
My SQL is also active
Thank you for the link PJ, and thank you again Midnight Caller for calling out for help for me  Wink

Jekyll  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I knew of some of Jekyll problems from what he had said before, the trouble is if you havn't been with it from the start, you dont appreciate the background.
Best of luck, pity my knowledge doesnt extend to PHP, small old type HTML yes, but not the new stuff
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jekyll,
Although the two posts will be going you may like to try this option as suggested linky
As a relatively (or totally) ignorant customer in this regard I have absolutely no idea if it will help
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont think so, Jekyll already has a free forum, he was trying to move it onto the PN free space, see Gary's link above to the Other Thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,62488.0.html
Jekyll
Grafter

Just to let pierre_pierre know that I actually am scrapping the current forum I have so as to begin again, fresh start you see, and I have got a kind member working on it for me at the moment.
Jekyll  Wink