cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to install Joomla 1.5.1

DonaldWM

Impossible to install Joomla 1.5.1

Hi,
I notice various people on these forums have had problems installing Joomla, but nobody seems to have exactly the same problem as me, so I thought I'd post about it.
I recently downloaded Joomla 1.5.0 and ran it under localhost to try it out as I'd never developed a website with a CMS before.  I took an existing site of mine and re-developed it with Joomla.  Having got the site finished and working offline, I need to test it online and so have downloaded Joomla 1.5.1, applied the upgrade to the offline installation and uploaded the full version to my Free-Online cgi webspace.  The site and stylesheets all work fine offline.
I have put it in a folder named 'gap' in the cgi-bin directory.  I access the site using the URL: ccgi.username.free-online.co.uk/cgi-bin/gap but the installer page loads as text only and the stylesheet file is being completely ignored and no images are loaded.  The installer won't work without the stylesheet being parsed and so I can't get anywhere with the installation.  I've tried adding /index.php to the URL above, but that makes no difference at all to whether or not the stylesheet is parsed and images are loaded.
In desperation, I tried a manual (without web browser) installation and have been able to upload my SQL database contents to plusnet's server without any problem.  I got the site to load, but the stylesheets were still not being parsed or the images loaded, which made it completely useless.  I also experienced '404' errors unless I added 'index.php' to the URL when accessing the site, although doing so still only loaded a text-based page.  I have since undone the changes I made and have returned the site to it's pre-installation condition.
I know absolutely nothing about using .htaccess files and therefore have no idea whether I should be doing something with that or not.
Any help in getting the stylesheets to be parsed like they are offline so I can install the site, would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
glyndev
Grafter

Re: Impossible to install Joomla 1.5.1

If you have uploaded into the cgi-bin then that is where your problem lies.
NO files go into the cgi-bin ALL files (php, html, images etc) go outside the cgi-bin in the root directory and sub directories of that directory.
Delete the uploaded version in the cgi-bin and re-upload into the ROOT folder.