cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing names & addresses from Excel

Funseeker

Importing names & addresses from Excel

I am building a website that will contain the names and address details and other stuff of around 470 businesses.  Hopefully with a search function.
Pretty adventurous, really for me as I've only ever designed static sites; however, I did manage to install a phpbb forum on one site. (That's probably the most adventurous. (I didn't have a clue what I was doing; just followed the instructions)
Anyway, I have all the data I need in an Excel Spreadsheet and, as a novice to web databases, I presume I'm right in thinking that I do not need to re-type these details (or even copy/paste) into 470 separate web pages.
I've heard the terms CGI; php; Perl; mysql; etc., and asp, although I gather that PN doesn't support asp and I know about FTP'ing to my cgi server, but that's about it.
I would welcome someone pointing me in the right direction as to whether I could be capable of doing it the 'proper' way.  Or even somewhere that offers and idiot's step-by-step guide.
Great Forum guys, keep it up.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Importing names & addresses from Excel

You will need to write some PHP code to import the data from the file and import it into your MySQL database (you are using a database for this?).
Reading .xls files can be difficult for a novice so save the file as a .csv file and read up on the php functions for reading csv files - fgetcsv().
Or just google for reading csv files with php.
Or search for php based CRM systems (Customer relationship Manager) which might save you a lot of coding. You might find something suitable on www.hotscripts.com
samuria
Grafter

The best way depending on your knowledge is to export it as XML as its then in a format as a database and can be used by most programing languages. There is old fashioned text of coarse.
what data are you using as I am thinking Data Protection Act
zubel
Community Veteran

He already stated it's business addresses, so the Data Protection act doesn't apply.
B.
Funseeker

Thank you for your starters for 10!
Diving into the deep end comes to mind.
I'll have a delve around and see how it goes; after all, if don't try it you never learn it.
Thanks again
Funseeker