cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Information Regarding Your Account - HELP!!!

davidwright1987

Important Information Regarding Your Account - HELP!!!

Hi all, I just received the below email at 22:30 this evening and it's scared me to be honest. Can anyone advise on what to do?

Dear Mr Wright,

Just a heads up that we've received a complaint that your connection is sharing copyrighted material.

As this is a legal offense, we need you to look into how it's happening. Check that no-one using your connection is responsible, and consider changing your wireless password to make sure no-one outside of your home has access to it.

It is against the law to use your connection to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material that is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene, menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence or privacy.

Please do all you can to stop this happening.

For more information on the complaint we've received, raise a ticket and choose 'Customer Services & Billing' or 'Contact the abuse team'.

For extra tips on securing your connection, check out our support guide.

Kind Regards,

Plusnet Abuse Team

This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.

Email Ref: E1027

PlusNet PLC Registered Office: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU. Registered in England no: 3279013
6 REPLIES 6
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Important Information Regarding Your Account - HELP!!!

Nothing, as it appears to be false.

Send the headers on the e-mail, do not post it here as it will be public, but if you do it then remove any personal information. Though will help understand where this e-mails have come from.

I would send the headers to a member of staff via PM. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Alex Reading that email, it may not be false - I had one a while back - before the 'new' IP allocation system was introduced, and it was linked to activity by one of the previous holders of an old IP of mine.

Must admit though it was at the time the RIAA were spraying these around like confetti, so could have been just a fishing exercise.

It may be an idea for the OP to check the emails source and respond appropriately the links in the email appear genuine.

John
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @davidwright1987 and welcome to the Community Forums.I can see you've been in touch via one of our other support channels and an advisor is finding more details for you in the coming days. I can confirm the email is legit and as @jab1 hinted, there is a small chance this notification could be meant for the previous customer your IP address was assigned to so until the advisor gets back to you with more information I wouldn't worry as it may not be applicable.

thomos
Hooked

I just received one of these emails too - how timely in the middle of a national lockdown.

I'd like more information but the wording "For more information on the complaint we've received, raise a ticket and choose 'Customer Services & Billing' or 'Contact the abuse team'." confuses me because there is no 'Customer Services & Billing' or 'Contact the abuse team' option when you follow the "raise a ticket" link.

So the email is not very helpful if you want to find out more information!

Also, the email is from support@plus.net but it includes this "This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.".  Does this mean that Pplusnet does not respond to any email sent to support@plus.net?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Unfortunately sometimes Plusnet's left hand isn't aware of the right hand, let alone what it's doing. 

@thomos wrote:

Does this mean that Pplusnet does not respond to any email sent to support@plus.net?

Yes.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
deepintheforest

I just received one of these emails:

I also have found that the quoted links do not exist.

I have been given no details of the alleged complaint.

What do you suggest should be my best course of action?

Dear Mr Lomax,

Just a heads up that we've received a complaint that your connection is sharing copyrighted material.

As this is a legal offense, we need you to look into how it's happening. Check that no-one using your connection is responsible, and consider changing your wireless password to make sure no-one outside of your home has access to it.

It is against the law to use your connection to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material that is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene, menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence or privacy.

Please do all you can to stop this happening.

For more information on the complaint we've received, raise a ticket and choose 'Customer Services & Billing' or 'Contact the abuse team'.

For extra tips on securing your connection, check out our support guide.

Kind Regards,

Plusnet Abuse Team

This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.

Email Ref: E1027

PlusNet PLC Registered Office: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU. Registered in England no: 3279013