Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6 any time soon?

vendetta
Rising Star

Re: IPV6 any time soon?

@ejs wrote:

@vendetta wrote:

The average user of today say 8 out of 10 clients are or is very on the ball with Networking etc, let alone those who are pretty advanced in the latest info and Broadband news and other such advanced Networking information and knowledge..

Do you have any data to back up this claim? I think it's somewhat overestimating the proportion who will have any idea about IPv6.

I apologies that is a 100% Guesstimate!
Dam I should have known better' that the [ Factual Real Statistical Federation Of Police Monitoring Agency ] would nab me sooner or later Police 
For an example and guesstimate 'how many Xbox's Ones and PS 4s or 3s are owned around the world let alone in the UK and PC game users in that pile. I am sure you will find a lot will know about IPV6 as it states it within most links for games today and even on the firmware and built in software within the consoles it will state  Please Get IPV6 contact your ISP, just look in Network settings On a Xbox One just for say? So ya got me - Next send the Oxford Dictionary squad round next and the you can't make Estimates or GET IT RIGHT MATE' WE GOT YA' USING A SENSE OF HUMOUR - SQUAD  Roll_eyes

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I tend to agree with EJS, I would estimate that 90% of Plusnet's customers would have no idea what an IP address is let alone knowing anything about IPV6. What is all that nonsense about Xbox and PS3s and 4s you are spouting, makes no sense to me.Smiley

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Let's agree we'd all like Plusnet to add IPV6 and direct our frustrations there!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@gabrielhopkins  I am not frustrated by not having IPV6, can you explain what benefits if any, it would give me?

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

It's a very good question.

I agree with the sentiment above that most users simply don't care and the experience is the short to medium term is likely inseparable. In a way, that's sort of the point. If IPV6 was noticeably quicker or gave access to better/more websites, we'd already have 100% adoption. No one would put up with being a second class internet user.

So as dumb as it sounds, I'd still like to be an early-ish adopter of the (barely) new technology, even if the true benefits are only in the long-term. When IPV6 is widespread and that enables us to communicate as we like between every machine on the internet and my kids can build and deploy all sorts experiments, then I'd like to have been part of that, and not shrugged because there was no immediate benefits for me.

vendetta
Rising Star

Google it or look on your own PS or Xbox One - Failing that you must be on a wind up perhaps! Huh Shocked
I also believe some are way underestimating the understanding or intelligence of people who use ISP's today, this is not the early 90s. 
I am not here to argue with users of the Net or be a person who has a Jobsworth attitude or a keyboard warrior I am here just to vent my bit in any way I can to PlusNet, in my own way or have we become as full on Politically Correct and an Orwellian society all of a sudden! 
Oops maybe we have. Police Police Funny

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

I tend to agree with EJS, I would estimate that 90% of Plusnet's customers would have no idea what an IP address is let alone knowing anything about IPV6. What is all that nonsense about Xbox and PS3s and 4s you are spouting, makes no sense to me.Smiley

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

I am not frustrated by not having IPV6, can you explain what benefits if any, it would give me?

@RealAleMadrid Just out of interest - what is your opinion of the game https://loopsofzen.uk/

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You might also take a look at http://ip6.no/index-en.html

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@jelv  Ok I get your point,  some sites are not accessible on IPV4, my post was intended to be a bit tongue in cheek. Other posters just rant and moan about what PlusNet have or haven't done. If they want IPV6 go to an ISP that provides it.

connchri

Which is exactly what is happening.

The thing is, Plusnet has changed over the years. People have every right to rant and rave. On its own it doesn’t do much, but when it becomes more of an issue, Plusnet will need to adapt.

In total I’m responsible for 4 Plusnet lines. 2 are for business, one of those connect servers, and is on a business account. I renewed with a deal last year to stay put - on the hope IPv6 will be dealt with. Not happening, so all lines will be getting switched.

All major ISPs are now on IPv6. Plusnet can’t even tell us what is happening. As I alluded to in an earlier post, major internet companies may start making IPv4 connections suffer if IPv6 adoption doesn’t pick up. It’s in everyone’s interest this happens, and I need to ensure I can serve over IPv6, incase something like google starts making IPv6 connectivity a factor in rankings (as it has already done with HTTPS access). You have to plan for this stuff or it catches you off guard.

I like Plusnet, otherwise I wouldn’t have been with them for so many lines and years - but there is no excuse for not even planning for this. None. And it’s rather gutting that they not taking this seriously. And whether you realise it or not, IPv6 internet will become the norm, not the exception, a lot sooner than you think. The UK lags, or did anyway, significantly behind other countries in regards to IPv6 adoption.

Anyway, 6 days and my first line switches. The rest will in due course also.
vendetta
Rising Star

Just to make some small points one of the biggest communities in the World are online gamer's and I already made this point. Again gamer's are usually a fussy lot and want the best, so here is some info IPV6 Minor Information Gaming 
All I am asking PlusNet since before 2014' but really got on their case with other's from the Community in 2014 was to start the move over - or to please start to give information or action and reaction about IPV6 as by 2018 it will be needed and in demand also when are you going to?

Now I made it clear to them in 2014 back then with other's, that BT will be making the Jump and SKY and many other ISP's .

''Plusnet you do not want to get left behind with the change coming and you will keep customers not lose them as well as make it a hassle free for those customers not having to change ISP within ISP's market and a much needed essential use for the IPV6 that it will be eventually, for all users''    << That was just part of what I wrote in 2014.

All I know is they had a small trial in 2014 and that was it. SILENCE! Lips_are_sealed Angry

KrisWragg
Dabbler

I think this year is the year I will look at switching from PlusNet unless they implement IPV6, I work in IT and being stuck in the stone age does not sit well for me.

Currently I'm just waiting to see what happens with G.fast and FTTP as I'd rather not switch and be stuck in a contract to find my area is enabled mid contract.

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Please post which ISP you decide on

anahata
Hooked

@gabrielhopkins wrote:

Please post which ISP you decide on

I'm not the poster you were replying to, but last year I changed from PlusNet to Zen.

I'd have liked to switch to Andrews and Arnold but they were just too expensive, especially as my income is slightly less since I retired.

Zen don't give you IPV6 when you open your account, but you can enable it any time for no extra change, and they provide documentation to help you. Getting IPV6 working the way I wanted it on my home network was a bit of an adventure, but it's running like a champ now.

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Thanks. I will take a look at them when my current PN agreement runs out. I wish Zen had a no-router option. I already have a better Fritzbox, but I like the fact they're providing a quality router.