Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6 any time soon?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: IPV6 any time soon?

Sorry to say, what you're seeing is not the result of anything we've done/are doing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gswhiteuk

Just found this thread through Google.  I have spent time with BT, Sky and Talk Talk recently for broadband and have recently switched to Plusnet. I actually cannot believe that Plusnet do not have IPV6 enabled on their network.

It's actually a complete joke to be honest.  I have found forum threads discussing this going back to early 2016 and we are only 4 months from 2018!!  Two years to deploy IPV6 and it's still not live is laughable and everyone at Plusnet should hang their heads in shame.

vendetta
Rising Star

I agree Big Time!
PlusNet and their so called Techs- 'Coughs with bad chest .'Funny Thumbs_Up

Really need to get their fingers and heads out of a certain place. You see  IPV6 already out there with BT who owns Plusnet? ermm BT.  I know Plusnet maybe it is based near the closed down Coal mines but surely it is not based actually in the Caveman Mines and Times.

Lots of Net users today are very clued up and Net savvy' unless you are living in the Caveman times or under a Rock I can see Plusnet losing at least 48% of it's customers just over a poorly run slow management team and planning division over IPV6 which in fact has been extremely poor just doing the reading over the last 4 to 5 years! 
Don't you think you would want to catch up with the rest of the Networks - and the rest of the Internet Service Providers that are in competitive competition Plusnet !  And perhaps STEP out of the Caves?
This was wrote for the BENEFIT of those who's brains cannot understand 'slang' My apologies to them, but more so to [ Browni ] Thumbs_Up Crazy2

vendetta
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi there, thanks for your interest in IPv6

We don't have any news I'm afraid.

Well if that is the case it is about time Plusnet get their fingers and heads out of the_______ Don't you think?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@vendetta what on earth is "Net ISP's compo Plusnet "
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@gswhiteuk wrote:
It's actually a complete joke to be honest.  I have found forum threads discussing this going back to early 2016 and we are only 4 months from 2018!!  Two years to deploy IPV6 and it's still not live is laughable and everyone at Plusnet should hang their heads in shame.

Try this thread in 2011https://community.plus.net/t5/IPv6-Trial/IPv6-Trial/m-p/800606#M252

6 years and still no sign of it appearing!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

We're also in 2017 and the internet hasn't went boobies up Funny
vendetta
Rising Star

Browni wrote:
@vendetta what on earth is "Net ISP's compo Plusnet "

Opps we have a Grammar sentence dictionary checker on board. lol Cheesy 

Please if you are trying to be smart take it elsewhere . Jog ON!!   II not my apologies in advance. 
Net . ISP .  Internet service providers. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Quote fixed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@vendetta

So, are you a Plusnet customer, or are you with another ISP that does do IPv6?

vendetta
Rising Star

@ejs wrote:

@vendetta

So, are you a Plusnet customer, or are you with another ISP that does do IPv6?

Still with with Plusnet at the mo - But will be moving on I guess in the very near future after years and years of pretty good service being with them, 'which is a shame' due to the lack of 'Motivation and Development' on their part .

If the  IPV6 is not implemented very soon  it will be a goodbye from me and many other family & friends who are with Plusnet I mean even the Xbox One etc begs you to jump to IPV6  just check advance network settings.

Also like most companies so not finger pointing at Plusnet but paid for my own Router as Plusnet's is [-Censored-],
Have to say ''For the £cash it has not been bad their service but had many battles with them to get it good''

I guess I am being patient & since writing to them about IPV6 as far back as 2014 warning them to ready for it I am still waiting -
The end game for me and many others I know who are still with them, will probably give Plusnet the chop if IPV6 is not implemented sometime in 2018

connchri

I'm leaving for this very reason.

For £15 a month more with another provider, I'm getting 8 static IPv4 address and a /56 block of static IPv6 address - I paid extra for the 8 IPv4, which most people don't need. (Also helps that I get 3 months free with the new provider - so not much more expensive over the course of a year).

I completely agree - less than two months until 2018, all their competitors and their parent company have it, but Plusnet still have no idea where they are going with it.  Utter nonsense.

And I've been with them in some guise or another for the last 6 years - with plenty of referral discounts.

Listen up Plusnet - you are losing customers over this, and you will lose more as you continue this policy of 1) no commitment to IPv6 and/or 2) no firm information on it.

In the next few years, it will be likely that big names on the internet will start to penalize those not on an IPv6 connection - in order to increase uptake.  Its already been flouted by a certain search engine last year, and a tunnel broker has stop taking new connections for this very reason.  And your business customers (Of which I am on another account) with self hosting services will require IPv6 connectivity to serve on that stack.

Thanks for all the fish - but seriously, pull finger!  What will it take?  A drain of all your tech savvy customers that are likely to be responsible for a sizable number of word-of-mouth new connections?  8 day's and I'm out.  I simply can't recommend you any longer...  You will hurt because of this!  And it's an unnecessary shame!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@connchri wrote:

For £15 a month more with another provider, I'm getting 8 static IPv4 address and a /56 block of static IPv6 address

@connchri, let me know how you get on with that, I'm looking at that exact same package, but unfortunately can't migrate until after Christmas, so I will be interested to hear your feedback on how you find it performs.

Plusnet just don't understand that being cheap isn't enough.  Many customers would pay a little more for a better service, and for essential features such as IPv6.

For me if I migrate to that package, I will be paying £5.01 every month more (29.5%) than I'm currently paying Plusnet, but I'm anticipating it to be worth every penny, to have a connection that works properly in the way I choose to use it, and not to be left with unresolved issues by support staff (as is currently happening with Plusnet).

connchri

No Problem, I'll update.

I only came on the forms to double check that there had been no additional information regarding IPv6 - I've been a lurker on here for many years - just to see if the migration was a waste of time.

Anyway, I'll report back in a fortnight - so I have about a week's worth of experience.

I genuinely wonder if this is a BT ploy, directed from above, to ensure that Plusnet aren't too competitive. When you see how they are so aligned now anyway - using old rebranded BT Home Hub 5A's and offering EE phone services - it's not short of reasonable to think they are simply being punted as BT for the more price conscious - while limiting their advanced features.  I always thought of them as the price competitive power users ISP - with fixed IP for only a one-off £5, and at one time being able to purchase additional static IPv4 addresses.  It really wouldn't take much to enable IPv6 - their parent company has did all the hard work for them.

Anyway, enough ranting...

vendetta
Rising Star

@connchri wrote:

For £15 a month more with another provider, I'm getting 8 static IPv4 address and a /56 block of static IPv6 address - I paid extra for the 8 IPv4, which most people don't need. (Also helps that I get 3 months free with the new provider - so not much more expensive over the course of a year).

I completely agree - less than two months until 2018, all their competitors and their parent company have it, but Plusnet still have no idea where they are going with it.  Utter nonsense.

And I've been with them in some guise or another for the last 6 years - with plenty of referral discounts.

Listen up Plusnet - you are losing customers over this, and you will lose more as you continue this policy of 1) no commitment to IPv6 and/or 2) no firm information on it.

In the next few years, it will be likely that big names on the internet will start to penalize those not on an IPv6 connection - in order to increase uptake.  Its already been flouted by a certain search engine last year, and a tunnel broker has stop taking new connections for this very reason.  And your business customers (Of which I am on another account) with self hosting services will require IPv6 connectivity to serve on that stack.

Thanks for all the fish - but seriously, pull finger!  What will it take?  A drain of all your tech savvy customers that are likely to be responsible for a sizable number of word-of-mouth new connections?  8 day's and I'm out.  I simply can't recommend you any longer...  You will hurt because of this!  And it's an unnecessary shame!

Top write up and wish you all the best Thumbs_Up and every word you wrote 99% are Bang On The BUTTON.

Very sad Sad but they seem to not listen or take notice or give lack of information, almost Arrogant in truth Lips_are_sealed Shocked.

@connchri wrote:

Listen up Plusnet - you are losing customers over this, and you will lose more as you continue this policy of 1) no commitment to IPv6 and/or 2) no firm information on it.

The average user of today say 8 out of 10 clients are or is very on the ball with Networking etc, let alone those who are pretty advanced in the latest info and Broadband news and other such advanced Networking information and knowledge.. 

I will add, that, I am pretty accurate on these predictions- No jokes- I can't name them or those ISP's on here but they were good ISP's- Yet sadly because they also failed and fell behind and never kept the flow or full on information with their clients /customer base, which is exactly like PlusNet is and has been. 
Those companies no longer exist now or were bought out and used like cannon fodder for something else. 
PS; for some reason all that I wrote did not post? hmmm strange!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@vendetta wrote:

The average user of today say 8 out of 10 clients are or is very on the ball with Networking etc, let alone those who are pretty advanced in the latest info and Broadband news and other such advanced Networking information and knowledge..

Do you have any data to back up this claim? I think it's somewhat overestimating the proportion who will have any idea about IPv6.