cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPV6 any time soon?

aimihorne

IPV6 any time soon?

Just curious to see if there is any official word on IPV6 yet for plusnet as Sky and BT are both fully up and running on it an it could become a deal breaker for us as we have two consoles in our house an ipv4 kills them for gaming same time same lobby. ipv6 would give them their own external IP's which would be a big help regards connection quality. 

Tags (1)
56 REPLIES 56
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: IPV6 any time soon?

Hi there, thanks for your interest in IPv6

We don't have any news I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
legume
Rising Star

All things being good enabling upnp on the router should let 2 consoles play.

Depending on specifics of consoles/game/router there is scope for failure.

I don't have ipv6, but I am not sure if it would totally solve the problem. I mean questions like do game servers mix 6 and 4 for connections, what about game chat which may be P2P and if you want to host you would be limited in who could connect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using the Plusnet supplied router by any chance?

DebbieLawson196

I gave up waiting for IPv6 from Plus.Net a few years ago. 

My network runs a Hurricane Electric tunnel and every IPv6 ready machine gets a 2001::/3 global address.

https://tunnelbroker.net/

mikeharry
Hooked

Hi all,

Just done a test using 'Test your IPv6' and got the following (IP addresses removed). Up to now it hasn't shown any IPv6 capability with a readiness score of 1. Am I to assume that Plusnet are now providing IPv6 Huh

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be
Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be PLUSNET UK Internet Service Provider, GB

To ensure the best Internet performance and connectivity, ask your ISP about native IPv6. [more info]

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Your readiness score 7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I got some brief IPv6 connectivity by the looks of things

IPV6.PNG

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

If you got a Teredo address, isn't that a tunnel? Do you think you got a native IPV6 address?

Cheers

Gabe

gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Ah! I see what you guys are doing. You've got 6to4 turned on and noticed your get tunnels from a Plusnet tunnel provider. If you can set it up, you'll probably find 6in4 with someone like Hurricane is better than that right now, but you're right it could be a promising sign that Plusnet are doing something (probably not 😉 )

mikeharry
Hooked

Not to worry. Back to 1 out of 10 today - seems that there was something for a day or two but that Plusnet have pulled that plug.

Oh well.................................

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@gabrielhopkins I'm not doing anything! http://test-ipv6.com/ is giving me 7/10 & http://ipv6-test.com/ is scoring 12/20.
gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

Cool. Is that on the standard plusnet router?
Browni
Aspiring Hero

No, I'm using an Asus DSL-AC88U but IPv6 isn't configured on it.
gabrielhopkins
Dabbler

I think your router must have 6to4 enabled by default. That's a protocol that automatically detects and connects to local tunnels. So the jump from your router to PN is on IPv4 and then it gets bridged to IPv6. Native IPv6 would be better, but what's not to like!

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The first one is now reporting 0/10 Sad