cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address not showing as UK - it is showing up as US

dazone1

IP address not showing as UK - it is showing up as US

Hello,

I am trying to enter competitions on avforums.com, but it appears that since my IP address is showing as US, I am ineligible to enter. I am based in the UK. Could someone please look into this urgently, as this has been like this for a couple of months now.

Many thanks.

This is what avforums has told me:-

"Unfortunately it looks like plusnet may not have updated the location information for the IPs.
It looks to be set to Los Angeles at the moment.
Sites like the following can be used to check the current geo information for IP addresses:
146.199.105.202 IP Address Details - ipinfo.io"

5 REPLIES 5
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: IP address not showing as UK - it is showing up as US

If you follow the link you provided it seems that the IP address has been reallocated to Plusnet (see image) so maybe the avforums site has not updated its geolocation database recently?iplookup.jpg

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dazone1

Network AS6871 British Telecommunications PLC
City El Segundo, California, United States
Latitude/Longitude 33.9164,-118.4041
Postal Code 90245
Route 146.199.0.0/16

Find out more about 146.199.105.202 at robtex.

So before I click robtex, that shows that this IP as being in Sheffield, UK, it shows California, US.

I have sent your screenshot to avforums to check and advise.

Thanks.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you have not already done so, then switch your router off for a while, although PN's new network makes IP addresses fairly sticky, you may get a new one straight away, or it may take a while. 

Or you could pay the £5 and a get a static IP, then you know you will not get the same issue again.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The 146.199.0.0/16 range has been allocated to and used by Plusnet for over 2 years. The problem is the range is registered in the USA but used exclusively in the UK.

It looks like ipinfo.io might be using the MaxMind database - check the list provided by entering the IP at https://www.iplocation.net.

Plusnet have been in touch with the major geolocation database providers to get incorrect locations corrected. I'm sure that would have included MaxMind but it looks like they've reverted it to USA.

So another correction request will have to be made. Sad

Meanwhile it's worth trying what Mustrum suggested in the hope of getting an IP on a different range.

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having problems with accessing a particular website.

I've checked with our network team and I can confirm that although a website indicates that the IP address is not UK based, the IP address is geolocated correctly within the UK.

If you are still unable to access the site, then I'd recommend getting in touch with the site administrator to check their geolocation database. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet