Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address geolocation longevity

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

IP address geolocation longevity

My phone (S8 ) has location set to high accuracy, and until this week has worked impeccably. I have noticed in the last few days, when at home I am incorrectly reported as being in Hilton, some 15 miles away (Hilton is an issue because my Dad lives there and I thought it might be something I had done). I cleared the cache for Google maps, BBC weather and other gps related apps several times which returns the correct location correctly for about 10 minutes, then reverts back to Hilton. I finally tried whereaminow on my laptop which also reported me as being in Hilton. This tells me that the previous owner of my ip address was located in that village. I have had this address for 3+ days now, so how long does the information take to update? I have had to turn off high accuracy on my phone to keep it in my location, as soon as I turn high accuracy back on, it uses the out of date info from the ip address. Haven't experienced this issue on any other operator and was wondering if ip address ownership details are a bit more sticky with PN?

Thanks

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: IP address geolocation longevity

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: IP address geolocation longevity

It is obviously IP geo located as I went to https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback and selected the new IP location and an hour or so later, my phone has been behaving as expected. 3 days seems to be a long time to retain the location information though.

Mark