cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile page link

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: IP Profile page link

PN used to have a profile which was separate but should have matched the BT one that was used back in the day when there was managed traffic.
The IP profile page showed the PN one and not the BT, so if the PN one isn't used anymore and was out of synch with the BT one it doesn't matter and could be misleading.
What matters is the BT one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@nozzer, as you've got a static IP address the connection profile on your account will restrict your throughput if it's set below the IP profile of your line because connections with static IP's route differently across our network through additional equipment known as the BNG's. Anyone with a dynamic IP shouldn't be affected by the profile on their account.

@smithcomputers, it looks like your connection is still routing the way you would do if you had a static IP despite having a dynamic one. I've made a change to correct that which should go through on or around 18/03/2019.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@Gandalf  

Thanks. That's as I understood it. 

smithcomputers
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Oh the irony!!

Just tried to get my BTWholesale IP profile, using BTw speedtest and

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet has removed current line speed

Has anyone notice that PN has now removed current line speed speed to check plusnet profile speed check

Link has gone https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

PN, if it was removed off please put it back as we have the rights to check what our line speed are with PN along side with BTw bras profile speed check.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Re: Plusnet has removed current line speed

The main thread regarding the data transfer rate can be viewed here

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Two topics on same subject merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be too hard to conditionally show the "Current Line Speed" for those connections for which it is still relevant, and not display it for those it doesn't ?

Alternatively could the "Current Line Speed" be displayed on the [Static IP] page under [Your static IP details] ?.

Being a keen DSL "target SNR" tweaker (currently 0.7 to 0.9dB Shocked), and being on a static IP, I very regularly check my connections "Current Line Speed" as part of obtaining the absolute maximum line throughput.  Knowing when the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" has caught-up with the BT IP profile is essential information to know when I'm optimising my connection.

Equally there have been many occasions when following a thunderstorm, or BT playing with other people's phone lines in the Openreach underground chamber, that my actual download speed has halved.  After checking my modem sync speed is normal, then checking the BT IP profile is where it should be, I've gone to the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" and discover that is where the problem is, with that either waiting to catch up, or is inexplicably stuck requiring a line reset to clear it.

Having the "Current Line Speed" information available meant that I could do the diagnostics, and then it was a simple matter of asking Plusnet support to update the figure or order the line reset.

Are Plusnet going to be happy when I'm frequently contacting support regarding slow speeds, to which I'll be told to run through the faults process, wasting everyone time, and get into arguments with untrained call operators who will say "we don't use Current Line Speed" when clearly there are some of us that are affected by it.

Crazy2

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it be too hard to conditionally show the "Current Line Speed" for those connections for which it is still relevant, and not display it for those it doesn't ?

We're building something now that will perform a line check as you access the page. That will give all users their current line speed. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
DS
Seasoned Champion

Sooo, it's same as what BT already offer their customers...?

The ability for us to test from the router to the exchange?

If it is, I must admit I did find that useful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JonoH wrote:

We're building something now that will perform a line check as you access the page. That will give all users their current line speed. 

Surely performing a line check will give the BT IP profile rather than the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" ?  Huh

I'm not too bothered about BT IP profile because that is usually OK, but it's the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" getting out of step and getting stuck that causes me the biggest problems !

wickyb
Dabbler

Where do I go to check my PlusNet speed profile

Hi

Where do I go nowadays to check the speed profile assigned to my account please?

Thanks !

DS
Seasoned Champion

Re: Where do I go to check my PlusNet speed profile

Our data transfer rate has been removed from our account Sad

Plusnet are working on an alternative - my guess is it'll be the same as BT's customer 'check from the router to exchange' offerings

We now can continue to get it from the BTw speedtester site (when it works!)

I think plusnet staff can also find it - they might posted it on here, or possibly on a ticket, not sure now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do I go to check my PlusNet speed profile

Yes, I too would like to know where this essential information can be found  Knuppel

Until recently it was here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

I don't understand why it is that every time Plusnet do an update to the Member Centre, it becomes harder to navigate, increasingly slower as more useless and unnecessary page formatting is used, and that the most frequently visited pages have been disappearing one after another.  Crazy3