Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile page link

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: IP Profile page link

It could be referred to as a legacy facility from the old network.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Because we've changed how we operate internally and we no longer use IP Profiles for customers on unmetered products with a dynamic IP address. We haven't for some time and the page was misleading as the IP Profile might change but it's doing nothing on our systems.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

so you are telling me you cant adjust ip profiles for people lines anymore which ive had done in the passed when techs had to kick the line to match the bras ip profile ?

JonoH
Hero

@iangilf wrote:

so you are telling me you cant adjust ip profiles for people lines anymore

I'm telling you we don't use IP Profiles, we can change it to any number you like, but it won't have any impact on the service. 

Jono H
iangilf
Rising Star

lol ok then well your hands are more tied than before with making changes to anyones lines ....isps are so powerless when it comes to Fibre ....moving forward? lol in what way you seem to be moving backwards and bt seems to have everything and the isps seem to have nothing lol

....thanks for your time but yet another factor has been removed from the customer side to see what profile we are set to before when i looked it up it showed me my line speed which gave me the threwput of that line speed but now we cant even see that all we can see is the sync rate we are connected to via our modem stats which doesnt mean we are going to achieve the max threwput for that sync so u could be syncing at 76 meg which i am but im only getting 66 meg threwput and yes im hardwired and yes ive tried different cables and microfilters and yes ive done it with only the 1 pc connected but u all seem to think everything is fine cause what you see your end it ok ....thats what annoys me so much cause it looks good your end you think the customer is making it up

JonoH
Hero

@iangilf wrote:

lol ok then well your hands are more tied than before with making changes to anyones lines ....isps are so powerless when it comes to Fibre ....moving forward? lol in what way you seem to be moving backwards and bt seems to have everything and the isps seem to have nothing lol

We've made this change, because of how things are configured on our network. It's nothing to do with our suppliers.

....thanks for your time but yet another factor has been removed from the customer side to see what profile we are set to before when i looked it up it showed me my line speed which gave me the threwput of that line speed

It may have told you a number, but it wasn't accurate and hasn't been for some time, it wasn't accurate because we don't use IP Profiles across the new network (unless you're on a static IP address or on a metered product). The information we provided on that page was misleading to the vast majority of Plusnet customers.

If you're having issues then please start a new thread (or tag me in the thread you've already got) and I'll have the team investigate the issue and send an engineer if one is required.

Jono H
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It still affects people like me on a static IP though, right? With low ADSL speeds a mismatch in profiles makes a massive difference in speed. I’ve also seen the Plusnet profile very slow to update for my line, it took 3 days to catch up (could be BT at fault for this but still). It also never does force a new PPP session when updated, which I thought it was supposed to do, so you could end up on the old speed for even longer.
That's RPM to you!!
JonoH
Hero

@RPMozley wrote:
It still affects people like me on a static IP though, right?

Yes it does, if you moved to a dynamic IP it would immediately cease to apply (not that I'm advocating you do that) 

With low ADSL speeds a mismatch in profiles makes a massive difference in speed. 

Absolutely, and if you ever want to know what your profile is we're able to see this internally, the decision was made to retire the page because for the vast majority of people the information was misleading. 

Jono H
smithcomputers
Grafter

I used to be on a static IP and up until a couple of weeks ago If I had a bad sync event and the line speed profile at your end dropped if still affected my throughput considerably, is this because I used to have a static IP? and in future this wont affect my throughput now, but I haven't had a static IP for a while. Or am I one of the few where it still affects my throughput? Thanks in advance for any clarity you can offer.

iangilf
Rising Star

thats why i gave up on the static ip address here it crippled my throuput every time 

smithcomputers
Grafter

Yes it did mine but it still was doing up until this page stopped working and im not sure why. I checked a couple of weeks ago and soon as the profile went up at there end my throughput came back unless of course it was the profile at BTs end that caused it and it was just a coincidence I looked at the time it went back up at BTs end when my speed came back.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

but it wasn't accurate and hasn't been for some time, it wasn't accurate because we don't use IP Profiles across the new network (unless you're on a static IP address or on a metered product). The information we provided on that page was misleading to the vast majority of Plusnet customers.

Well, that's news to me! Huh (let's not go down the where is the announcement on the forums prior to it's death Wink )

I've often referred to that page, and likewise suggested others to use it to. Kinda peeved it was a waste of time tbh Sad

I miss it already. Obviously can't go back to verify, but don't recall it saying the above, like it does on the BB usage monitor (not the same wording, but does tell us the usage is not accurate).

I'll leave it there Smiley

smithcomputers
Grafter

I have just done a test now and throughput is 8.6 and my connection speed is 10.7 usually at that connection speed my throughput would be about 9.6-9.8 so speed is going somewhere again. I just tried the BT test again and us usual that wont complete so I cant even get info from that Roll_eyes

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@JonoH wrote:

It may have told you a number, but it wasn't accurate and hasn't been for some time, it wasn't accurate because we don't use IP Profiles across the new network (unless you're on a static IP address or on a metered product). The information we provided on that page was misleading to the vast majority of Plusnet customers.

I think the accuracy of a number is unrelated to what Plusnet may or may not be doing with it. Everyone's line will still have a BTWholesale IP profile. If Plusnet's copy of it changes, then that will be due to your line's IP profile changing, due to your line's sync speed changing. Plusnet might not be doing anything with it, but the IP profile still represents what it represents.

By the same logic, you could argue that seeing your line's sync speed is "misleading" because even if it changes, Plusnet don't do anything with that number.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@JonoH 

Is the fact that "PN don't do anything with the IP Profile number" saying the same as the "IP Profile number has no affect on the throughput"?. It must have a function if it still exists? I also have had a stuck profile recently and miraculously manually increasing it via tech help also increased the throughput. As @ejs  says, BTW still allocate a profile and this can be read from the BTW speed test, and as far as I know it relates to the sync speed, unless something fundamental has changed.

See section 2...  

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm