cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a few questions about the upcoming FTTP

Brian_K
Dabbler

I have a few questions about the upcoming FTTP

City Fibre have been laying new fibre optic cables for several weeks in the part of Worcester where I live. I understand that the telephone service we are all familiar with will be switched off by Openreach at the end of 2025, so I have a few preliminary questions I would like to ask if I may.

1) Will I be able to keep my existing Wi-Fi router, which is an ASUS RT-AX88U, just by taking the DrayTek modem out of service and connecting the ONT to the router via an Ethernet cable?

2) Will Plusnet be providing a VOIP service for customers who wish to keep their current landline telephony equipment (via a VOIP adapter) or replace it with VOIP-compatible handsets? If not, will third-party providers like Sipgate be an option?

3) If Plusnet customers are mid-way through a contract using the current technology, will they be able to either migrate to an alternative Plusnet service without penalty and would the same apply if said customers decided that they wanted to use a different provider from that point forward?

4) Are current VOIP-compatible cordless phones likely to be compatible when the new infrastructure is up and running and if I decided I wanted to keep the landline option and were to purchase such equipment before the changeover, would it still work on the old system while it still existed?

15 REPLIES 15
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: I have a few questions about the upcoming FTTP

Hi @Brian_K 

If CityFibre are laying fibre cables, I’m afraid you’d need to go with them or a provider who uses their network, as we’d use Openreach’s infrastructure.

If ‘WBC FTTP’ is available though when you put your landline number into the availability checker Here we would be able to provide this if or when we bring out a full FTTP product, but we’ve no plans to share yet. The same would go for whether we’ll provide VoIP.

Assuming FTTP is available for you on Openreach’s network, if you move to BT or EE we’ll be happy to waive termination fees, we’d just ask you call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to arrange. 

I can’t answer your first and fourth questions but I’m sure someone else from the community can do. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Brian_K 

City Fibre is a competitor to BT. I suspect that Plusnet being part of BT will, when they get around to supporting FTTP, only offer a service to properties on the BT network.

If you leave Plusnet for a FTTP service provided by BT or EE then Plusnet will waive the cancellation charge otherwise you will have to pay to leave a fixed contract..

Whether you will be able to use your router depends on your new ISP. I suggest that you also go to them for your telephony, it will work out cheaper.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

1) Your Asus can be wired to CityFibre ONT.  I think CityFibre connections require VLAN ID 911 to be configured.  I believe Plusnet will only offer FTTP on Openreach infrastructure, not CityFibre btw.

0vlanID.jpg

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034366/ 

4) You may discover your regular telephone handsets are expected to be plugged into the router provided by the ISP.  Third party VOIP handsets are therefore not compatible with BT/Plusnet Digital Voice services for example.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Brian_K 

As mentioned elsewhere you'd need to move to CityFibre for their service. This would incur PlusNet early termination charges if applicable.

If Openreach provides a FTTP service for your property (as mentioned you can check) then you could probably move to BT or EE without incurring charges as these are sister companies to PlusNet. Or you wait and see what (if anything) PlusNet plan to do. If they do eventuall y provide FTTP and it's available via OpenReach then I would image you could uprade without any problems (perhaps a new contract).

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ksahota93

Sorry, I cant exactly answer your question.

Where about it Worcester are you? Im in Warndon Villages and FTTP has recently (past few weeks) has become available to me through Openreach. Seems they are slowly rolling out in the area so just keep an eye out on their website for your address.

Brian_K
Dabbler

That's interesting because I'm in Warndon Villages as well (by Tesco). Did you notice whether it was CityFibre installing the optical cables? I assume it was as I'm pretty sure they are doing the whole of our city from what I've read.

bmc
Hero

You can check OpenReach plans here

https://www.openreach.com/

To check what's available now on OR use

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

ksahota93

Likewise, Im just around the corner from Tesco. Cityfibre have installed a green cabinet on my road but the service ive ordered is completely unrelated to to this and through openreach. I havent physically seen Openreach doing in work around me but it miraculously came available a few weeks ago.

I've gone for the 900 down and 110 with BT, Fibre is not showing as available through plusnet for me but is through Sky and BT.

After researching online, I've read that it can be years from city fibre working in your area to the service actually being available, best to keep an eye out for both them and openreach

Brian_K
Dabbler

I've just checked with BT and they are now offering FTTP at my address.

Do you happen to have the answers to some questions of mine by any chance...

1) Would BT allow me to use my own router (An ASUS RT-AX88U) if I went for their service?

2) If so, I presume I'd still need to add the VLAN code 911 as the infrastructure has been laid by CityFibre?

3) I believe there are some other settings I would need to change if I wanted to use a VOIP service such as Sipgate?

4) Would I be able to move from Plusnet to BT without penalty?

I'm uploading the two pages from the router GUI that I think would require some changes in order to a) connect to the BT network and b) to enable VOIP to work. Apart from the usual user name and password, are there any additional settings I would need to connect to the service?ASUS Router Settings 2.jpgASUS Router Settings.jpg

bmc
Hero

@Brian_K 

Can't answer all your questions but if BT are offering FTTP then it's over the OpenReach network and not CityFibre.

PlusNet are believed to be reading an FTTP offering with the next 3 months (with a new HubTwo moden/router). However until they make announcement it's just speculation.

PlusNet have been waiving charges for customers moving to BT / EE FTTP. You need to speak to the Customer Options team (don't have a phone number).

Do you already have a VOIP service? As far as I'm aware the BT offering includes a phone line (even if it's supplied over VOIP).

Brian

ksahota93

Im not sure on most of these im afraid.

You would be able to use your ASUS, you would just connect directly to the ONT they would install.

BT Do offer a VOIP Service, but you would have to use the BT SH2 that they supply in order to use it, you wont be able to have BT VOIP while using your ASUS

Brian_K
Dabbler

Thanks for your help guys. I may not need the VOIP service anyway, as we all have mobile phones, but out of curiosity, does BT charge for their VOIP service and if so, is it on a call-by-call basis or is it a flat charge per billing period? If I do need VOIP, I could maybe try Sipgate as that should work with my existing router.

ksahota93

Its £5 on top of you package for PAYG or around £15 for unlimited mins