cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I going to get fibre

Robert127

I going to get fibre

Hi there .

Is there anyone who got fibre from plusnet used anything that's on the market to boost broadband speed all around the house and outside . If so could you tell me which you have used and how much do they improve the speed . Thank you . Robert.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: I going to get fibre

@Robert127  Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to realise is that the maximum speed you will get depends on how far your property is from the local BT fibre cabinet and the quality of the line. This will determine your maximum download speed. There is nothing you can do to improve this.

If you connect devices to your router with Ethernet cable you will get this maximum speed, unless you live in a palace regardless of distance and location. I have installed Ethernet cabling for streaming devices such as my Amazon Fire TV.

If you are thinking mainly about wireless then there is a whole range of ways to improve things. For example, a better router, wireless extenders, wireless access points, powerline units or a wireless mesh system. The most cost effective system is dependent on your property and your budget. 

I would suggest that when your fibre is up and running and if you have area of poor speed then you come back here with a description of your problem and a few details regarding walls and distance from the router for advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Put your number into this site its a BT wholesale cabinet checker and see what comes up for VDSL  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

That should give you a rough idea

The next thing that will have an effect is the router, as well as router positioning. In an ideal world the router will be in the centre of your house, not tucked on a shelf, not shoved in a corner, behind a TV etc etc

Then theres the property itself, is it an old building with thick stone walls? modern building with insulated material in the walls ( ie foil type panels)? all of those can have an effect

Robert127

At present I have bt fibre the wifi  goes way past my garden . It's stone built terrace house with insulated walls all floors and ceilings . Before I had virgin media And I got no wifi outside with the door open standing outside by the door . I was thinking of getting something to boost the wifi as I know no other hub will preform as good as bt wifi hub . With virgin media wifi the further away from the hub speeds go down but with bt the speed is the same anywhere I am in my house including the seller and attic bedroom .

That's the reason I have asked this question . I am expecting the wifi to do the same with plusnet as it does with virginmedia you loose spend the further away from the hub in the house . Thank you both for your help .

All the best Robert

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you have a BT Hub that works for you, then why not use it if you move to PN.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

With your BT HUB, what model do you have?

Some ( if not all) are compatable with plusnet ( and other ISps) so it may be a case of keeping the plusnet one in its box ( as a spare) and using the Hub 6 ( or whatever)

All you need to do is change the username/password in the connection settings, your wifi names (ssid) and password should stay the same meaning that you wont need to change the settings on  all your devices

Robert127

On the day of the change over from bt to plusnet my local exchange with switch off my line connection to bt . Then switch over to plusnet equipment from the exchange . This could mean that I won't get the same wifi speed as I get now due to no bt connection .

I have now got two bt hub 6 which I will use first as it's a better hub . The reason I have two hubs If their is a problem and it's the hub it's fix straight away . This could save me paying for a engineer visit over £100.00 . Thank you . Robert

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The WiFi signal comes from your router, not the exchange - so if you use the same router the WiFi signal strength will be exactly the same no matter what ISP you use.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else, as it's not an issue with a fibre connection.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Robert127 

The solution to your query is a no brainer, use a Smarthub 6. Many of us use them instead of the Plusnet Hub One, which is really an old BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked flaky firmware.

Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... Just take note of when to plug in the dsl cable, some people plug it in too early then claim that it won't work with Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'