Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am tempted by BT !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I am tempted by BT !

I have received an offer from BT that  "seems to good to be true".... so I have asked for further information, ( waiting since last night - so no response yet)
I have a website hosted free, on Plusnet,  which was one of the reasons that I joined PN, when my previous supplier V21 ( taken over by a broken down firm called Biscuit (of all names) that went into liquidation after about 6 weeks.... (got out just in time)...
So will I be able to keep my FREE hosting with Plusnet.... or does that "die" when I leave to go to another supplier....
Probably PN will want to charge me... ?
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I am tempted by BT !

You can't keep your hosting if you leave.
The Plusnet response will be to direct you to PAYH - but there are cheaper and better options.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm .... sort of guessed that might be the case.....
Will have to do a lot of "thinking".... I like PlusNet... but the BT offer is very tempting... so I must, literally, weigh up the cost of hosting (either PN or elsewhere) for a "hobby site", against the BT offer of free wifi on the BTFON sites, etc etc etc...
Oh deary deary me...  Undecided
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

what's the offer?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... Well, basically..... Add BT broadband to my present BT phone setup, and get the benefits of BTFON and 4 million wifi hotspots for £5 per month....
EDIT>>>.. (Plus the famous BT home hub! ! ! )
I am already on 24/7 free phone calls 7 days a week, and have never had any problems with BT phone service
The offer is valid until end Nov so I have time to make up my mind.... need to find out some "small print" type questions.... like how long will it last at £5 per month,,, is it for a 6 month period, like most offers,... and how much download "allowance" there is....  ( I have 60gb with PN, but rarely get that far ! ! !)... plus I have my website with PN for freeeee... so would have to pay for that... but against that I have to use a Dongle at £10 a month (only do that payg when I go on hols)... so a bit of "swings and roundabouts"...
I also like these forums, and would miss that too, if I went ! ! ...
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

looking at my offers it will be an 18 month contract and possibly only 10gb usage.
you wouldn't lose access to the forums, unless you were very naughty Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

I`m on 18month with BT phone ... so that would not be a problem... will wait and see what they reply to my queries...
Thanks for interest !..
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Shutter, I don't normally get involved with forums but I read your post with interest. As I'm a PN customer I  thought that  I'd share with you my thoughts. Over the last few months I've had tremendous support from this forum, that alone is priceless. PN isn't expensive & every provider has unseen costs. All businesses need to make a profit . Think very hard before you change, remember you don' t get nought for nought. You may think that you're getting a good deal to start with but will it last.  Nothing in life is free.  My advice would be to sit back  & wait. As PN are owned by BT it probably won't be long before PN are offering the same hub as BT.
I for one wouldn't change, how much would you save 100 pounds a year, two pound a week? Is it really worth it, Bt will get it back from somewhere. Take a look at my support thread..
Regards, Mick/samgregkt