cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have Found That To Change Parts Of My Microsoft Settings...

Gildersleeve
Grafter

I Have Found That To Change Parts Of My Microsoft Settings...

By that I mean changing the opening pages so I can say make it show my location for the weather and not London I have to sign into an account or create one. I'm starting to think I may've had an account but stupidly not remembered the password or name I was using and the original e-mail account I linked all my websites to, no longer opens for me so having an e-mail sent there would be no use as I won't able to read it. I have had similar problems lately with Facebook. Twitter, Spotify but solved the issue(and started a new e-mail account elsewhere)and made certain in future I keep my new details safe. So it should not happen again.

Should I be able to start a new account with Microsoft and forget about the old one? I don't ever remember having an account with Microsoft but if I did we're talking of probably 6 years ago since an account was created so no wonder I forgot details. I only realised I may've had an account because the computer is now using Windows 10. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: I Have Found That To Change Parts Of My Microsoft Settings...

In all honesty I would advise against using your microsoft account on Windows 10 unless you are really desperate to use the windows store.

Generally speaking its more of a hassle to login to your PC everytime with your hotmail account with the only advantages being that you can get access to the incredibly sparse, and mostly useless windows store apps...

There are better options online for pretty much anything being offered.

To answer your question though, if you have a hotmail account, you should be able to use that?

Gildersleeve
Grafter

So I guess basically you are saying don't worry about customising the opening pages or that it show London as my location Smiley just use the operating system and go straight into surfing and searching the internet which does work of course without setting up an account Wink Thanks

tokey
Aspiring Pro

exactly.

Obviously if it really bothers you go for it, but as I said, bare in mind that you will be forced to put in your username and password for your windows account every time you turn on your PC, or everytime your screen locks (ie from powersave) which is pretty annoying.  You also cant turn it off!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

tokey
Aspiring Pro

Good spot @Gel Thumbs_Up

I dont understand why it has to be on at all though, especially, as I said, the benefits are so limited.

You would have thought microsoft would be begging people to use their store...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@tokey wrote:

Obviously if it really bothers you go for it, but as I said, bare in mind that you will be forced to put in your username and password for your windows account every time you turn on your PC, or everytime your screen locks (ie from powersave) which is pretty annoying.  You also cant turn it off!

You can set a PIN once you've elected to authenticate using your Microsoft credentials and use that to log in instead. In fact it's recommended to do it that way in a lot of circumstances.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nanotm
Pro

yeah and even if you share the machine with multiple people you can set up a login screen for all of you that lets each of you click the relevant logo and then enter the pin number as well, you can then use the same pin login on all sync'd and authenticated windows devices that you log into outside of a corporate domain (unless that's also linked to your private MS account)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you