cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you give internet access to a 99 year old?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

How would you give internet access to a 99 year old?

I know a 99 year old who only has a telephone landline (no broadband) and doesn't want to get a new phone contract.

How would you give them internet access?

6 REPLIES 6
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: How would you give internet access to a 99 year old?

Does the person have a mobile ? If so consider creating a hotspot and using a tablet....................

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Champnet No mobile just a landline just for phone calls.🤔

So I guess that means buying them a mobile, a sim and a tablet and some form of contract?🤔

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

I made the incorrect assumption that every household has a mobile. You could bypass the phone and use a tablet with a data only sim, others here may be able to make recommendations.  I imagine this person’s not going to be the average user so requirements will be minimum The alternatives are to use a relative’s, friend’s, neighbour’s or the local library’s computer.  Is this person a member of a local group that may provide computer access ?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If the person is not interested in making calls, then I wouldn't bother with a mobile. Just a tablet with a data only SIM. You then have the advantage of the bigger screen for the internet, the only downside really is it is just a larger device to carry around.

It was a while ago since I bought one, but you used to be able to buy a pay as you go data SIM with say 12Gb of data pre-loaded onto it which would just work as soon as put it into a device.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Talking to my non-technical Wife about this and she came up with a solution. 

Inform the local newspaper. A headline such as "99 year old wants to surf the net" is bound to generate interest and hopefully offers of help from Individuals, Support Groups or maybe even local IT Companies. Good luck.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Champnet @Alex  Thanks guys Thumbs_Up

I've discovered Digipals  https://www.ageuk.org.uk/wandsworth/our-services/digipals/  that can provide a 4G tablet loan for 3 months and ongoing IT support.

I've also discovered AbilityNet https://abilitynet.org.uk/at-home/request-free-it-support-home that offers a wide range of free IT support to the elderly.

Please have a look at them both and give me your feedback.🤔