Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to?

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

How to?

I am mildly interested in constructing a website for my bowls club but, ashamed as I am to admit it it; I have no idea (or have forgotten) where to start.
I don't anticipate anything over fancy, just a potted history a couple of photo's and a fixtures list (that must be able to be edited annually)
As a slightly more advanced idea that a forum for registered members to contribute to might be nice but not essential.
Back in 1992 I began to construct a family website (with Plusnet) that never got further than a half finished title page and was never used. This page still  exists, could this be adapted/edited for my needs? or do I gather that from reading briefly some posts in this forum that Plusnet no longer allow this?
As an aside if the family/bowls website is no longer a viable option, I cannot see any method of deleting it.
Can anyone offer any advice or suggest any good (preferably free) software please?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How to?

As the site is still live then you can continue using it with no problems.
petlew
Pro

Thanks Jim.
Does that mean I can:
Edit it
Give it a completely new layout
Delete all existing content in favor of new for bowls club
Give it a new web address (pertaining to the bowls club rather than my family name)
Anything else I might have missed?
If no to any of these, then its back to square one with my original OP.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Edit it YES
Give it a completely new layout YES
Delete all existing content in favor of new for bowls club YES
Give it a new web address (pertaining to the bowls club rather than my family name) NO
One thing I don't know is whether you can register it elsewhere and host it on Plusnet using your free allowance http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/domains/domainin.shtml#hostingOnly
you could on your old package but I don't know if that has been retained http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/domains/hosting_allowances.shtml
petlew
Pro

Ah!
Thanks again.
So its back to square one then...there's little point in continuing on this route if I can't use the club name in the address.

petlew
Pro

Only saw you're edit after I posted my last.
Worth looking at perhaps?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It may be possible for a small registration fee but not with Plusnet as their fee isn't small so definitely worth looking at but you will need to raise it with the Digital Care Team as the normal ticket handlers are unlikely to have a clue about it
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a domain registered with www.123-reg.co.uk for around £4/year which is pointed at my Plusnet webspace.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did your account type when you started include cgi/MySQL, and did you activate these? The dynamic nature of blogging and forums make these essential.
David
petlew
Pro

As a very quick answer spraxyt. (as I'm off to a bowls match now) No.
I didn't activate anything (that I'm aware of, it was a long time ago) it never progressed any further than adding a title and a bit of colouring. And as far as I remember it was never uploaded to the web, well, there was nothing to see then.