cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to re-map your domain name so that your DNS Records point to an Adobe Portfolio website

FIXED
DP3
Hooked

How to re-map your domain name so that your DNS Records point to an Adobe Portfolio website

Hi can somebody please help me?

I currently have my domain and an old website hosted by Plusnet - been with them for years since they were called Firenet, 

I have created a new site with Adobe portfolio but am having dificulty pointing my domain dp-design.co.uk to the new website. 

Adobe have told me to log into my domain provider and add A records (for my domain name and new site with Adobe) to my DNS settings. Not sure what to put in the left field but have had a go and is not working. The main problem is the Plusnet configure options do not recognise the @ symbol, I have contacted Plusnet support but they say they do not support this.

I have upploaded 3 screenshots: A is the instructions from Adobe. B is what I have added to my DNS settings C is the error message I get when using the @character, (DNS settings have been blurred for security).

Does anybody know how to do this please?

Thanks

DP3

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: How to re-map your domain name so that your DNS Records point to an Adobe Portfolio website

Thanks for your post @DP3 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I've taken a look into this for you and I've added records I believe which should work.

After allowing 4 hours to DNS to propagate, could you let me know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DP3
Hooked

Re: How to re-map your domain name so that your DNS Records point to an Adobe Portfolio website

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks for your help with my DNS settings.

Unfortunately it is still not working I have tried with Firefox and Chrome, with just my domain name I get my old home page or if I add www.domain name I get an adobe portfolio page saying something went wrong page not found.

Thanks DP3

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @DP3 

Yeah I've noticed when I checked back a couple of hours ago.

I've messaged a colleague in our NetOps team for advice as domain & webspace knowledge is very limited in the contact centre due to this being a very legacy thing with us. 

In the meantime if @bobpullen is around he may be able to help...

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DP3 

I've discussed with a colleague. The records are right in our domain control system but the IP address for the A record you've given points to a broken Adobe page, which suggest something's not configured correctly on their end or they don't allow you to point webspace they host to an external domain.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DP3
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Thanks, I have raised a ticket with Adobe just waiting for their response. I had a look at my DNS records and noticed I have an A record and a Cname, not the 4 A names Adobe instructed me to put in - is this correct?

Thanks for all your help

DP3

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @DP3

Potentially not but from discussing with NetOps this morning, I think as the first step it's worth looking at why the IP points to a broken Adobe page. If you haven't already, it might be worth asking Adobe that question. 

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DP3
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Please see response from Adobe:

Madden
(Adobe Portfolio Help Center)

Nov 9, 2021, 1:23 PM MST

Hi there,

The IP addresses point to davidd043.myportfolio.com which is not a broken page.

It looks like your DNS changes aren't saving on your domain provider's end. Some common causes are : 

1. Time - it can take 24-72 hours for DNS changes to save
  2. Nameservers are not pointing to your domain provider's default nameservers (please ensure they are pointing to [DOMAIN PROVIDER]
  3. Conflicting Records that are preventing your A Records from pointing to Adobe Portfolio 

Since we do not manage or host your custom domain, you will need to contact your domain provider for further troubleshooting. 

Apologies for the inconvenience! 

Best, 

Madden

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @DP3 

They're right in that it takes time for DNS to propagate but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. 

A who.is check Here shows the nameservers of your domain are correct:

Name servers:
ns1.force9.net
ns1.plusnet.co.uk 195.166.128.17
ns2.force9.net
ns2.plusnet.co.uk 212.159.13.150

I've made a tweak to the records in our domain control system. Let's see how it goes overnight.

I'm genuinely interested in making this work as this side of domains / webspace intrigues me.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DP3
Hooked

Hi Gandalf I really appreciate your help with this. I don't understand the difference between A names and C names but Adobe are saying to use the A names see link https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/216489627

Thanks

DP3

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all @DP3 

Yeah it doesn’t look like our domain control system (DCS) supports the @ symbol, but there should (hopefully) be a way to make this work still. 

If we’ve not made progress tomorrow, I’ll see if a colleague from our business support team can offer insight as I know someone who’s been around for a long time and got the knowledge of how these things work.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

The @ symbol is just an indictor for the root domain. It is precisely the same as putting the following in the left-hand field (note the qualifying period at the end of domain):-

dp-design.co.uk.

@DP3 - I have amended your domain records to replace the existing CNAME/A record with four separate A records as per the Adobe docs. Will take an overnight refresh to propagate.

I'm not sure what difference this will make to the current situation though, as your domain is already pointing to one of the IP addresses:-

$ host dp-design.co.uk
dp-design.co.uk has address 151.101.192.119

$ host www.dp-design.co.uk
www.dp-design.co.uk is an alias for dp-design.co.uk.
dp-design.co.uk has address 151.101.192.119

And browsing to it takes you to https://portfolio.adobe.com/missing

Is there a final step you need to carry out at Adobe's side now the records are working?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DP3
Hooked

Hi Bobpullen,

Yes you are absolutely right there is a final stage to carry out on adobe side - basically telling them the DNS has been updated, which I have now just done and it seems to be working - i'm in shock!

Thank you very much for taking the time to solve this puzzle. I have noticed my email does not seem to be working today, is this to do with changing the DNS settings and will this sort itself out after propogation?

Thanks again

DP3

If I can help with any graphic design issues please get in touch.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @DP3 

Excellent! I'm glad to see your domain's pointed to your site now and that's working.Thumbs_UpThanks @bobpullen 

The email issues you're experiencing would likely be related to a known problem we're working on today. We've posted a service status on Here and also at http://status.plus.net we'll update when we've got something more to share. 

Really sorry for the inconvenience Sad

Let us know if you have further issues though or there's absolutely anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet