Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install WordPress on the server?

Galrey
Grafter

How to install WordPress on the server?

Hi everyone!
I am trying to install wordpress so that I can create a blog on my server, but after following a series of tutorials from internet, I can't get it to work.
I am not very good with Php, or Mysql so please if you know how to setup wordpress, plase explain in a way easy to understand. I am posting a
screenshot of phpMyadmin as an example, and so that you can see what is going on.
Thank you in advance
31 REPLIES 31
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: How to install WordPress on the server?

Have you enabled ccgi and mysql from your control panel?
You can't create a database in PHPMyadmin, because that is created for you by plusnet, and you only get one. When you enabled mysql, you should have got an email telling you the database name and password.
Galrey
Grafter

Hi, thank you for answering my question. Yes I have enabeled CGI and I did received the email that you have mentioned, with the details I need, and it's true that I have a database created, my problem is that when I upload the software to my web account exactly htdocs folder nothing happens. I am following two different tutorials, one for wordpress-2.9.1, and another for b2evolution-3.3.3.
When I look in PhpMyAdmin I can see a message in red saying no priviliges as in the photo I posted in the previous message.
I am just wondering if anyone has instaled a blog before, and can give me some advice on how to do it. cos' I don't really want to use one of those online free blogers. To me this is also a challenge, but after trying on my own, I have realized that I need help, cos' i have no idea about Php, and MySQL.
Thank you once more!
Spider
Grafter

You mention uploading to the htdocs folder. If you are not using PAYH then are you trying to upload to www.<username>.plus.com/htdocs/  or ccgi.<username>.plus.com/htdocs/? ccgi.<username>.plus.com  is the correct location to install Wordpress but you don't have to install it at root level, you can install it in a folder.  cgi-bin is the only folder present on a new account and this should not be used as an install / upload location.
Galrey
Grafter

Hi!
Yes I am trying to upload it to www.<username>.plus.com/htdocs/wordpress That is the location I am trying to upload it, but it does not work.
Anyway sorry for my ignorance, but what does it mean PAYH?. I am just using my account that came with my broadband. I just recently
activated MySql and Ccgi, cos' I was told I would need it to use wordpress.
Thank you!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

'www.<username.…> is the homepages server which *does not* support PHP, but PHP is required for Wordpress. You need to upload Wordpress to 'ccgi.<username>.…' which *does* support PHP and install it there (outside the 'cgi-bin' folder). Once all the files are uploaded you need to set access permissions correctly. The script shown here could help you with that task.
David
Galrey
Grafter

Thank you for your help, but I am getting even more confused, cos' when I connect my FTP I can only see "htdocs" and no "CGI Bin". Remember that I have never used PHP in my life
so some of the things you are mentioning, sounds somehow alien to me. My next queston would be... How can I upload something to something else I can not see?. In the tutorials
I have been watching they are all using something called CPanel, but I have no such thing only my FTP. When I am watching the tutorials it seems dead easy, but I am not surprise
I can't get anywhere whem I am uploading something to a place I shouldn't be doing.
Thank you once again!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The only server where you will see htdocs when you FTP to it is the homepages server which is www.<username>.plus.com. That one does not run PHP, just HTML.
For PHP you need to FTP to a different host ccgi.<username>.plus.com, note that 'ccgi' with two 'c's has replaced 'www'. Enter your account username and password in the appropriate text boxes of your FTP client.  You said you had activated CGI and MySQL. Did you receive emails (to your postmaster address) when you did this? Those emails give information for accessing these services (albeit a different FTP hostname from the one I mentioned - the name I provided can be easier to remember).
When you succeed in FTPing to the correct server the directory you will be at is /, and it contains a folder /cgi-bin (but don't put anything in there at the moment).
David
David
Galrey
Grafter

Hi David!
Yes I received 2 emails when I activated those two features, I will read them again, and try what you said. After I will let you know how it went.
Thank you!
Francis
Galrey
Grafter

Hello again!
I just tryed again, I used the information on the email, and now I can see the folder on my FTP, but David you said earlier:
/cgi-bin (but don't put anything in there at the moment). Do you mean don't upload wordpress to cgi-bin?...If not there, where?
Thank you
Francis
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes I mean don't put any files in /cgi-bin, it is there for a reason but that can wait for another day.
Have you uncompressed and un-tarred the WordPress files on your PC? You can't do that on the ccgi server.
I suggest you create a new folder in the root directory (/) called (for instance) blogs and put the Wordpress folders and files in there. You will be executing a WordPress set-up script. The WordPress installation page describes what needs doing to install WordPress. Note that you already have a database, and can't create another - you will use the one you have, information on that was given in the MySQL email (it's host name is *not* localhost, the hostname, database name, username and password are given in the email. You need to choose a table prefix name to make sure your table names are unique (wp_ is a suitable prefix).
After uploading all the files (using FTP) you need to make scripts executable. The easiest way to do that is to run the script I mentioned in a previous post (here is the link again). Copy that from the post and paste it into your editor. Save the file as (for example) setperms.php, upload it to the / directory on ccgi, use your FTP client to make it executable (permissions 0700), then browse to http://ccgi.<username>.plus.com/setperms.php and allow the script to run - it will list what it is doing on the screen, probably quite a long listing.
After that browse to the WordPress installation script, probably http://ccgi.<username>.plus.com/blogs/wp-admin/install.php and hopefully that will run through and set up WordPress for you. Smiley
David
David
Galrey
Grafter

Thank you David!
I will try to follow your steps as well as I can... I thought in the tutorials it said 5 minutes install, more like 5 months install for me. Cheesy
Ok you will hear from me again to let you know how I have gone on with the instalation  Smiley
Thank you!
Francis
Galrey
Grafter

Hello again  Sad
I think I am giving up on this, and the idea of setting up my blog. I have checked my emils and followed what they are asking me to do, and it's getting ever more confussing, on my email it says:
You will first need to log onto the CGI server using telnet or ssh. See the following guide for assistance:
- http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/cgi_php/cgi_guide.shtml
I have downladed a program called Putty and this is how it says I have to set it up:
1. Setting up SSH access using PuTTy
1.Run the putty.exe program.
2.Type in the Host Name for your CGI space - cshell.plus.net
3.Make sure the Port is set to 22 (the default for SSH access).
4.Protcol should be set to SSH.
5.To save your settings add a name for your connection such as "Plusnet CGI" in the Saved Sessions line.
6.Click Save.
7.Click Open to start using your CGI space. A Shell window will open and you will be prompted for your CGI username and password.
After following the instructions I get an error message, I post some pictures for you to see.
Spider
Grafter

The cgi shell as been disabled and looks like it will not be enabled again. What you need to do is create a folder under 'my documents' such 'blog1'. Then extracted the wordpress files into it. Using your ftp program connect to your cgi space and create a folder called 'blog2' (the folders can be named what you like but this way it is easier to refer to). Then upload all files from 'mydocuments/blog1' to 'ccgi.<username>.plus.com/blog2'.
Once all the files are uploaded using your ftp program again right click on the blog2 folder and select 'file permissions'. Here you want to set the permission to 755 and cascade is to all sub-folders and files. Once done you need to navigate to the install.php file using your web browser.
Gabe
Grafter

Installing Wordpress on ccgi, the only difference from the famous 5-minute install is that between steps 5 and 6 you need to make all the .php files executable. Once you have your unzipped wordpress folder ftp'd to your ccgi space and renamed "wordpress" or "blog" or whatever, load and run the script mentioned by David. Don't set anything to 755! Then move to step 6. Then enjoy.
Gabe