cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out if/when our fibre will ever be connected

beebod

How to find out if/when our fibre will ever be connected

BT Openreach brought fibre to our house and neighbours around 6 months ago but have never connected it. It remains hanging from the pole at the end of our driveways whilst we try and struggle on with dreadful broadband speeds. We cannot get any information on whether it will ever get connected and Openreach will not reply to any requests for information so we are at a dead-end.

Can anybody help us to find out what the situation is for our postcode [Removed]? The openreach website just says FTP 'coming soon'.

Thanks in advance for any morsel of information we can get!

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: How to find out if/when our fibre will ever be connected

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dodger21
Grafter

I don’t think OR/BT have been taking orders for FTTP because they need to access your premises to do the install, they do not connect it until you order, bit of a catch 22.

OR/BT has just started to unwind the lockdown see hear: Click 

So hopefully you will be able to order soon but not with Plusnet as they are not doing FTTP.

beebod

Many thanks for your reply Dodger and the link. I guess the question is, how do you order it if it's not available to order?!

The fibre has been sitting there since before November last year but if you try and check availability of fibre with any ISP it always comes back as not available - there doesn't appear to be any way to actually order it. Does it have to be ordered directly from OR instead of the ISP? My impression was that OR didn't deal directly with consumers.

Interesting that you say Plusnet can't supply FTTP, I hadn't realised that this not universally offered when it's available, is there any way to tell which ISPs do?

Dodger21
Grafter

That seems a long time to be waiting for it to go live but it may be just bad timing.

You would order it from an ISP BT, Zen (available to you) or I think Sky are about to enter the market on FTTP see here: Click 

You can check the situation here: Click 

It will tell you if it is available, make sure you look at the non fibre on demand, you can see from the attachment of my line.

They have just started to to do the install in my area (they are still on the remedial work at the moment) so I expect it to take another 3-4 months at least.

beebod

Thanks, I haven't seen the link to th BT checker before, I've only used the OR site to check availability. For my number it shows a very similar picture to yours, except the speed is worse!. It says FTTP On Demand is available and at the bottom of the page says FTTP not available. Not sure what the On-Demand bit means, I think this may be a business product available at a large installation cost?

So at this point it still seems to be unavailable which presumably means I still can't order it.?

Dodger21
Grafter

Yes it can be very expensive, also you aretied into an expensive monthly contact initially.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@beebod 

Fibre on Demand is an expensive product - you more or less pay full installation costs.

What you want to see is WBC FTTP in the left hand column - probably at the top.

BT and Zen are the main consumer ISP's offering FTTP and, as mentioned, Sky are expected to enter the market soon (rumour has it they are currently training up their support staff in the new product). There are other ISP's doing FTTP if you search around a bit.

PlusNet may. or may not, offer FTTP in the future but until they make an announcement nobody knows.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

rumour has it they are currently training up their support staff in the new product

@bmc I can guess why!

With ADSL and FTTC provisions, everything is attached to the primary asset, which is the phone line. Suppliers systems are based around this. With FTTP , that goes out of the window, there is no phone line needed. Even if the customer still retains a copper line for phone, its a completely separate asset from the FTTP.

Hence suppliers systems need considerable change (and subsequent staff training!)  to handle FTTP provisions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.