cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a redundant website?

alexander52

How to delete a redundant website?

Hi, I'm trying to delete a redundant website, but retain the domain name so that I can create a new website. I've manage to delete many of the pages, but I'm having trouble removing the htdocs and clear out the last few pages and graphics. The website was originally writen using Dreamweaver, which unfortunately I can't afford. Any help would be much appreciated. I've tried Cuteftp and Terrapin without any success.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How to delete a redundant website?

you can't remove htdocs folder but you can remove the content
alexander52

My word that was a quick reply. Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, there's still stuff there when I visit the website, even though the folder shows that its empty.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Using FireFTP in Firefox - that is the one I use
Clicking on Tools then Options gives me this picture - you probably need to click on Show Hidden Files
alexander52

Many thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know later how I get on.
Thanks again.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you visit the website is your browser showing actual content or what's in the browser's cache? What happens if you do a Ctrl+F5 when you are viewing the page?
David
alexander52

Thanks Spraxyt for taking the time to offer suggestions.
When the Domain is accessed it is still displaying the index, some text pages and one page of photographs.
Nothing seems to happen when I use your suggestion of pressing Ctrl+F5, however, as you also suggest, it could be displaying what still remains in the browser's cache.
I've just tried to access the website using a different computer and it now shows only the 'Index' page headings and no content, so it looks like there has been some success.
Incidentally, I've had to close this site down because someone has discovered a link to an internal folder of the website and posted it on a social discussion forum, which meant that the original full size photographs could be easily downloaded and this had created a high volume of activity which I was concerned would begin to exceed the bandwidth of the account. Thank goodness a concerned reader of the posting bought it to my attention.
So thanks again for your help and that of 'Oldjim' - what would we do without you?