Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure A record

NicholasKey
Dabbler

How to configure A record

Hi there,
Im looking for some help please on how to configure the A record for my hostname.
I want to forward my hostname, www.safe2surf.biz to www.nicholaskey.force9.co.uk for which I believe I need to know the IP address.
How would I find this out please?
Nick
5 REPLIES 5
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Re: How to configure A record

I think I found the answer...
http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.cgi
Nick
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Or you could enter nslookup www.nic...... etc at a command prompt
David
prichardson
Grafter

Unfortunately an A record is not going to serve the intended purpose here.
DNS records simply direct traffic to a destination IP, it doesn't unfortunately make said destination respond with your intended page (with exception of when your page is the only page, or default page for that system).
Judging by your intent to point by IP to our system, your domain is not hosted on your account.
The only way to make our servers respond with your site whilst using DNS records, is for us to host your domain. This will serve your website by default without any advanced settings.
Another alternative is to setup a redirect from your existing host, using the features of your host or a htaccess file if they support it. A number of popular methods for this can be seen on the following page.
http://www.webweaver.nu/html-tips/web-redirection.shtml
NicholasKey
Dabbler

Thanks Phil,
I dont think the guide you sent me would work as the people that have the domain dont allow me to upload anything - all I have is the same itself.
Which, incidentally a .biz and I cant see how I can transfer that in - it isnt listed in the dropdown.
Any suggestions please?
NK
prichardson
Grafter

.biz domains can be done on hosting only.
This means you retain your renewal and registration with the existing provide, and we host the services including email.
If there is a cost and if this is possible, depends on your account with us. So you may wish to raise a ticket first to check (or supply your account type here).
If you are good to go, get your registrar to update the NS (Name Server) records to NS1.FORCE9.NET & NS2.FORCE9.NET
Now raise a ticket with the domain name, stating hosting only and we will complete this for you.