cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to transfer in domain (hosting only)?

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

How long to transfer in domain (hosting only)?

I am trying to get a new domain name transferred in to my PN account. I have got the nameservers changed (yesterday on a Sunday) and whois is showing that OK, so I also raised a tcket yesterday with PN to get the transfer done. Nothing yet, despite a polite enquiry again today.
How long does this process take normally?
13 REPLIES 13
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How long to transfer in domain (hosting only)?

It can take up to 48h but normally 24h
I hope this helps
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks - I guess i need to be patient.  Embarrassed
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Any way I can get this expedited please?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

No, It is all the servers catching up, as I sed it can take up to 48h but normally 24h so you need to be patient
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I meant expedite the ticket I raised - I have had no reply from PN to say that they have done anything about doing the transfer in - they do not seem to meeting their 4 hours target for tickets.  Sad
I appreciate it will take time for the DNS cache to catch up, but AFAIK we haven't got to that stage yet.
Please PN, I would like to start getting this domain online.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi, I have sent a PM to Bob Pullen for you to have a look.
mal0z
Grafter

Hopefully one of the PN guys will be along soon and help.
Regarding DNS updates - I moved a site last week, ( nothing on PN or PAYH servers, ) and the PN DNS servers picked up the change in only about 3 hours  Smiley
I phoned a few other people to tell them, and they picked up the new site after only a few hours too.
Having completely renewed the site, I'm still waiting for Google to pick up the new content !.
Bing, Ask  have picked it up, Google, AltaVista haven't yet.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks all - Mand has done the necessary  Smiley
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Hey Mal, you were luckier than me, still no sign of my domain on force9 DNS yet. Cry
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

If you post your domain name we can test it for you!
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks - it is working this evening! - but I am now busy on another project...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can someone please explain the detail and time-line of this process please?
I've been trying to transfer a domin away from 1 and 1 (aka cowboys) towards the PN account of one of my referrals.  I'm feeling fobbed off (which might be unfair of me :-\) with the "X hours for this" and "Y hours for that" claims for why it is still not working.  I remain convinced that, right now, all is not well with my move.
I believe that for JTN admin and PN hosting the move goes something like...
1. Request the existing admin agent to change the ISP TAG (GETSURFED for JTN)
2. Request the transfer be actioned by the new admin agent (JTN) and pay the fee
3. Change the name servers to ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net (for PN hosting)
4. Ask PN to set up the A records in their DNS servers
5. Wait for the DNS services to replicate around the world
For PN staff reading this please see ticket 32157050
1. & 2. Impressively were completed in a couple of hours - the transfer to JTN was very straight forwards and fairly inexpensive!
3. Took a couple of days due to confusion on the JTN admin screens and confusion of exactly which name servers needed to be referred to
4. Has taken numerous attempts and chases due to confusion around 3 - at the time this was stated as being done (midday today), I was advised that things should be working in 4-8 hours
5. I then expect / accept will take 24+ hours...

Some 9 hours after (4) was reported as having being done, it is still not possible to resolve the domain name on a PN internet connection.  Granted if I were trying to do this with any old DNS then such failure might be understandable until phase 5 had completed.  HOWEVER - I'm doing a nslookup on PN's own DNS servers and none of then know about this domain name.  A call to the CSC suggested that it could be 24+ hours from now before even their DNS knows about the domain name "The domain name is pointing at our servers so everything should fall into place... you just need to give it time".

• Sorry, but I just do not believe this - if PN's DNS servers cannot resolve the name to an IP address, how can they tell the rest of the world what the name to IP address resolution should be?

• Surely if I look up the domain name directly on ns1.force9.net it should be capable of resolving the name minutes after the DNS A record was inserted - certainly after 8 hours?

• Am I missing something here... or is the CSC wrong?

I'm somewhat miffed with the CSC guy I've just spoken to, but I'll obey the rules and not name him!  Lips_are_sealed  Sorry but I just do not believe the answers I've been given.  I'll give this until midday tomorrow (Friday 26th) if its not working by then I fear I'll be blowing steam - emails are just vanishing and delivery retries are expiring.
To say the least this process is not exactly simple - given that initially I raised the ticket with PN stating what I wanted to do - why after paying the JTN fee could JTN / PN not have sorted out all of the technical issues thus avoiding the batton passing?
Given that sooner or later the DNS pointers would be directed to PN's name servers, why could the A records not be set up in advance of the Nominet recognition of the change?  Such a positive approach to the process could have saved days of lost emails.
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Mand & Kevin Mawson (I hope in this context this does not break the forum rules!) again came to the rescue - whatever was done to fix my specific problem THANK YOU!!  Sometime or other it would be good to understand what went wrong here and what are reasonable expectations for a domain name move as outlined above.
Knowing what should happen is reassuring when you are waiting and can see that nothing has changed.  Waiting for something which is not happening leads to concern and frustration, especially in circumstances where, after such extended waits, there will be yet another wait to see the effect of the subsequent change.
Anyway that's my referal off my back now...  Cool
Cheers, Kevin  Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.