cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a domain transfer out of Plusnet take?

michael1978

How long does a domain transfer out of Plusnet take?

I have started a transfer of a domain from Plusnet to 123-REG (because I want to use the domain with Office 365 and need more DNS control than Plusnet permits). How long should it take? I started the process on Saturday (2 days ago) and the status at 123-REG is "PendingRegistrarTagChange" meaning 'sit and wait'. Meanwhile emails sent to that domain are bouncing. I expected 12-24 hours, maybe more for a weekend? A 'whois' lookup still shows Plusnet.
Thanks for any advice,
Mike
P.S. I consider myself technically competent, but I'm a DNS rookie.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How long does a domain transfer out of Plusnet take?

michael1978,
Is the domain in question the .co.uk currently listed on your account?
If so were you able to provide the IPSTAG of the new host when you requested the transfer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
michael1978

Hi Adam,
Well, it was listed until I provided the IPSTAG (123-REG); now it's gone.
At 123-reg it says "If your domain status is displayed as "pending registry" for a Top Level Domain transfer, this indicates that we are waiting for the approval of the losing registrar for the domain to go through. Please contact your previous provider and request them to approve the transfer."
Is there anything else I have to do?
Mike
michael1978

Elsewhere it says "Pending Registry Approval/Pending Registrar Tag Change - Your transfer order has been submitted to our registrar with valid Authorization code (EPP) and we are now waiting for final confirmation from the previous registrar and the registry before the transfer is complete. There is nothing you need to do, just wait patiently until the transfer goes through."
Mike
michael1978

Update. Just used online chat and was told the process takes 48-72 working hours, which I *think* means 2-3 days, excluding weekends.
michael1978

Well, I'm still waiting. I contacted Plusnet using online chat, and was told everything's ok. (I was going to raise a support ticket, but couldn't find the link.) The chat support person will contact the 'hostmaster team' and I should expect a reply in 72 hours. That seems to mean 3 working days, i.e. next Thursday (due to Bank Holidays and weekend).
I was told there is no way to restore emails to the domain now that the transfer has started. If I'd known this, I might have looked at other approaches.
I'm posting here so that others thinking of transferring a domain to Office 365 can learn from my experience. Is what I am experiencing normal?
michael1978

The domain transfer has succeeded! I had an email from 'Plusnet Support' saying "Your domain has now been released to 123-REG as requested." and indeed it had. I was able straightaway to see the Domain in the 123-reg Control Panel and edit the DNS records to point to my Office 365 account. Email to the domain is now working again through Office 365.  Smiley Would this have happened if I hadn't chased?
If anyone is reading this and wants to transfer a Plusnet-registered domain to another registrar, I suggest contacting Plusnet before starting to see if Plusnet  can maintain email to the domain until the transfer takes place. It may be possible to set up the DNS MX record in some way to achieve this. Otherwise be prepared for a delay of several days, during which emails to the domain will bounce.