cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How ensure email to DNS registrant comes to us?

astomattcs
Hooked

How ensure email to DNS registrant comes to us?

Hi - we are purchasing a 3rd party digicert, and as part of that process you enter the required dns info (mail.(ourdomain).co.uk) and they send a 'check' email to whoever is registered as the domain contact.
BTW, the domain IS registered with plus.net
I've just done a whois query - whois -h whois.nic.uk. "(ourdomain.co.uk)" - and it does not appear to list an email contact (we need it to be it@(ourdomain).co.uk - which is a problem, because the digicert check will fail and we will be delayed getting our digicert.
Any ideas on how to make sure that we are registered as contact?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
prichardson
Grafter

Re: How ensure email to DNS registrant comes to us?

I would advise contacting the company that issues the Digicert for information on who they would send it to this this instance.
I am sure it would be a common scenario, as there is no publicly visible registrant email.
astomattcs
Hooked

The problem is that their system is very automated (GoDaddy.com) - they just check the DNS info, and send an automatic email to whoever the registered contact is.  Which makes sense, security-wise.
Actually, I think the problem may be with Nominet, in that when you do a Whois on a .co.uk domain, the result does not list the contact email details (so you can't check where a check email will be sent).
I assume there MUST be a contact email address, even if not shown publicly - how do I find out what it is?

Thanks
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Normally your agent provides the tools to manage Nominet registrations...
The hosting company I use (who go via Enom) enables you to edit all the contact details separately, which updates the Nominet records, but by default they are probably all the same.
astomattcs
Hooked

"Normally your agent provides the tools to manage Nominet registrations..."
The reason I'm posting here is that the domain registration agent is Plus....
Very simply, I need to find out where email for the domain owner is directed to - at present I can't see a way of doing this as the Nominet whois does not list email details for registrations, and I can't see any method in the Plus control panels.

prichardson
Grafter

.uk domains never have a published email address and as such, such companies have been unable use whois data to send such messages.
Only Nominet have the information about who the registrants contact email address is (I think we as the TAG hold can set it specifically or query what it is), and this would never be released to external company such as a digital cert issuer for the purpose of contacting and forwarding details to you (the data protection act prevents this).
There are several means by which they can do this, but as noted, you nee to contact the cert issuer to find out specifically which one they use. I can understand they may use an automated system, however there should always be a human available somewhere to answer your queries.
One method is to use the email address available from the DNS records for your domain, contained within the domains SOA record.
Lets looks at Nominets records.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;nic.uk.                                IN      SOA
;; ANSWER SECTION:
nic.uk.                172780  IN      SOA    ns1.nic.uk. hostmaster.nic.uk. 2007121301 7200 300 2419200 172800

The email contact for this record is located from hostmaster.nic.uk. The first dot is replaced with the @ symbol to produce an email address.
The email could also be sent to something like postmaster@domain.com or hostmaster@domain.com in absence of any automated means of locating the detail.
You do truly need to speak to them to get information exactly where the automated extraction takes place from. Without doing so, we might as well tell you the information was sent to iamafakeemailaddress@homail.com because we just don't know.
prichardson
Grafter

This specific reply is out of context as is it in response to a delete reply. Never the less, I have left it, as it also contains other useful info relevant to the post
Quote from: HPsauce
I guess you'd better raise a support ticket then.

As per my reply, there is little point this happening.
Whilst I am not saying not to do so, as we will happily submit the request for the address change for you, this will in no way assist in the very core nature of this query.
Any email address currently in the records, or otherwise imported at a later time, will not show in any public Whois data, or data that would be available to companies such as the one issuing the digital certificate.
For .uk domain, the certificate issuer must be using alternate means by which to extract and sent an email.
Only information on this extraction can be obtained from the issuer, and without approaching them, the questions of "Where will it be sent" is not one anybody on this forum can answer.
This isn't anything PlusNet specific, as it's the same Nominet system and .uk domains system in use, regardless of registrar.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You're too quick Phil! I deleted that post when i saw yours.  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I was first given a me.uk username, nominet set me an e-mail with details of the registration, I now cant get back with the link they gave me, but the registered address was none that I recognised, I tried to get it changed, and contacted CSC, but no luck, will try and find the original  ticket to see what the address was
I think I have found the Ticket, and now know who was involved, not disclosable will send a PM to the person involved to settle my mind
astomattcs
Hooked

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply
I've just gone and looked at the extended DNS info (via www.demon.net actually).
"The email contact for this record is located from hostmaster.nic.uk. The first dot is replaced with the @ symbol to produce an email address."
- sorry, don't quite understand the above sentence? The nearest SOA info I see is:
"(our company name).co.uk has SOA record ns1.force9.net. hostmaster.plus.net.uk."

>>I can understand they may use an automated system, however there should always be a human available somewhere to answer your queries.<<
- er, I think human help died out sometime in the 90's... (one of the reasons I stay with Plus is that they seem to be one of the few tech companies to still emply them...).

>>For .uk domain, the certificate issuer must be using alternate means by which to extract and sent an email.
Only information on this extraction can be obtained from the issuer, and without approaching them, the questions of "Where will it be sent" is not one anybody on this forum can answer.
<<
- you may be right here - yesterday I raised a cert request for a .org domain and that was fully automated. I notice that the .co.uk request has now transmuted into a 'manual domain check'.
>>Whilst I am not saying not to do so, as we will happily submit the request for the address change for you, this will in no way assist in the very core nature of this query.
<<
- thanks, this might be the route to take during Mon-Fri - I was just hoping to get the cert sorted over the weekend, but that's what I get for working weekends... ;O)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Got the answer via my PM. I found out the the assumption I made with the reply I had from CSC last july was correct (Not the information that CSC gave me) with my present knowledge, I also found that Force 9 do all the registrations for PlusNet, Free-online and Force 9.
prichardson
Grafter

From review of your reply, you do need to contact the support team in relation to your cert.
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/support_submit_question.asp
As far as I can see, there are simply too many variables involed. The email could go anywhere unless we know what they use to source this information.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Which of us were you referring to Phil?, I have had e-mails from Nominet to my correct address, the part that was incorrect was my actual home address, I hope that PN are going to continue the subs for the .me.uk domain?