cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I process a form on my Plus Net website?

Prudhoe

How do I process a form on my Plus Net website?

Hi, can anyone please tell me how to process a form on my free-online/plus net website, so that the contents get delivered in an email to my email address in an easily understandable format? I would prefer the field label or name next to the contents?
I have tried the Post/Mailto method, but the results are horrib le e.g. just one continous line of text seperated by commas.
Thanks,
Prudhoe
I've done the website/form in Dreamweaver, just in case this is relavent.
12 REPLIES 12
samuria
Grafter

Re: How do I process a form on my Plus Net website?

Paste this into dreamweaver as code just change prompt and your email address
<form method="post" action="http://homepages.plus.net/cgi-bin/form">
    <p>
      Enter Your Email Address
      <input type="text" name="email" size="30" />
      <input type="hidden" name="realname" />
    </p>
<p>
      Your Name&nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="text" name="name" size="26"></p>
    <p>Please enter your comments or message here</p>
    <p>
      <textarea rows="20" cols="50" name="text area">
</textarea>
    </p>
    <p></p>
    <input name="submit0" type="submit" value="Submit form" />
    <input name="reset" type="reset" value="Clear form" />
      <input type="hidden" name="subject" value="feedback from my web page" />
      <input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="youremail address" />
  </form>
Prudhoe

Thanks Samuria,
I have tried doing what you said, but get the following error when clicking submit:
"There was no recipient or an invalid recipient specified in the data sent to FormMail. Please make sure you have filled in the recipient form field with an e-mail address that has been configured in @recipients. More information on filling in recipient form fields and variables can be found in the README file."
Do I need FormMail for this to work, and do I put it in my CGI web space or with my website files?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The code above goes into your html file on your www webspace.
It uses a cgi formmail script that plusntet have made available for use on the www webserver (see the action line) and the contents of the form are 'posted' to the form mail script which then creates the email to you.
Also
<input type="hidden" name="recipient" value="youremail address" />
Did you replace the bit in red with your email address?
Prudhoe

Thanks guys that has worked fine.
The reason it didn't work the first time is because I have my own domain name hosted by another company and redirected to my free-online/plus net account and was using this email address instead.
Is it possible to use a none free-online/plus net address to send the form to instead?
Is it possible to use your own form submission confirmation page instead of the default one?  I have tried:
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="redirect" VALUE="http://www.mydomain.free-online.co.uk/confirmation.html" /> and
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="redirect" VALUE="confirmation.html" /> but neither works?
RobDickson
Grafter

Unless I've missed something here, your e-mail address is in the HTML of the form, and therefore harvestable by any spambots that find your website.
A better way would be to use something like PHP to process the results of the form, so that your e-mail address is never sent to the browser.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I agree with Rob on this one, I'd never display my e-mail address within the source of a page, sendmail() would be much better.
RobDickson
Grafter

Take care to make sure that you're careful with your code to make sure that the form can't be used for e-mail injection.
http://www.securephpwiki.com/index.php/Email_Injection
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Good call, and I suggest to avoid getting spammed you use a CAPTCHA script (I'd suggest using code from http://recaptcha.net/ which I just found today. Have a look on their and see the novel use of CAPTCHA input that occurs every day :))
RobDickson
Grafter

Technically, I don't think that Captcha will stop e-mail injection, but it's well worth having on a site. I might update mine to use the Captcha code, although what I have at the moment seems to stop spammers.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yea the captcha wouldn't stop injection, I was just adding further ideas for a stronger implementation of the script Smiley
Prudhoe

Thanks again guys, I never knew posting the contents of a form would be so hard.  I thought creating the website would be the hard bit.
If im not supposed to put the email address in the html is there some idiot proof way of doing this for someone new to this.  I dont know anything about PHP.  Is there some ready made script that I can use.  If there is one, do I put it in my cgi space or just website space.  What script would be best for me... Nothing too complicated.
I have tried asking the helpdesk, but they just say that they can't help with this kind of thing.  That being the case, how the heck are people supposed to find these things out.  Not much of a help desk.
RobDickson
Grafter

Be fair! PlusNet's helpdesk isn't there to help you with your web design.
As far as a form in PHP is concerned, have a look at http://www.ibdhost.com/contact/. This doesn't block against e-mail injection, but is quite a good layout.
Also have a look at http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Form_Processors/index.html. I haven't used any of them, but they sound promising.
As far as e-mail injection is concerned use PHP's eregi function to check for cc: bcc: \r and \n in the form's contents.
If all of this sounds too much, and you can put up with the advertising, why not use Bravenet's form service - it's free, and you don't have to do any programming.