cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Plusnet to remove my IP from Spamhaus blacklist

FIXED
LeeCal

How do I get Plusnet to remove my IP from Spamhaus blacklist

As the subject, for some reason my IP has been blacklisted so would need to get them to request a removal from Spamhaus. Can anyone help? Their phone support just round in circles.

21 REPLIES 21
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: How do I get Plusnet to remove my IP from Spamhaus blacklist

Start here - Lookup - Reputation Checker - Spamhaus

Is this a static IP address or a dynamic IP address?

If dynamic, then someone else abused the IP address, if static you did.  If it is static, then you need to identify what got it backlisted and ensure the cause has been eradicated.

If it is dynamic, probably the easiest (most pragmatic) solution is to switch the router off for 90 minutes, then hope you get a new IP address when you start it up again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Deleted -  @Townman answered better.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Depends on what is being done.  If this is a dynamic IP address and has been identified as the submission address for volume spam, it can become blacklisted for a temporary period.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LeeCal

Just going on what my hosting company said. Can't access my emails or website without resorting to a VPN. They insist my IP address is the problem. I'm presuming it's dynamic, but don't really know. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Townman See edit - your response made more sense.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, we have seen this before - third parties making inappropriate use of Spamhaus blacklists.

Blacklisting might inhibit sending of emails, but should not be used in any other manner.  Who is your hosting company - I could guess!

90 minute power-down might be the fastest route to an avoidance solution.

LeeCal

Hostgator... although if this keeps happening, not for much longer 😡

I'm using a BT Smart Hub configured for Plusnet... would it be worth signing up for a Dynamic DNS service?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Not the name I had in mind!

Indeed a slightly longer solution route is to find a hosting company who knows what they are doing!

I use lcn.com for a charity I run.  They are not the cheapest, but their support is top-notch.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@LeeCal 

Another option is to spend the one off charge of £5 and get a static IP address. Providing it’s clean when you get it you will not have future problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LeeCal

I've signed up for a dynamic IP using noip.com and have configured the Router. So far so good but will also explore the static ip, although this could potentially have the same issue. I've no idea why my IP ended up on Spamhaus though...

seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@LeeCal What list do they claim you are on? If you use the check link in post 2 what does it show for your own IP address. It is perfectly normal to be on the PBL, most residential ISP addresses should be:

spamhaus PBL.PNG

For example, I am on the Policy Blocklist PBL as expected.

LeeCal

The policy blocklist, as you. I suspect Hostgator are misusing this listing. So far the dynamic DNS from noip.com seems to resolve the issue. I'm going to be moving away from them. Any suggestions to a good host that uses cpanel? I have GB of data stored and don't want to have to try a rebuild.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@LeeCal 

The reason is very simple. If as @Townman has said, if a previous user of that IP address has used it for sending spam or in some other way triggered the block then that address ends up on a block list. If you then get allocated that address then bingo.. If you get a fixed address and it’s clean then no-one else can use it and cause future issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LeeCal

Thanks extremely helpful, thank you everyone! Bit of a babe in the wood, learning a lot.