Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add pages to my website?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How do I add pages to my website?

Hello, I am new to plusnet, andalso to website making.. I have constructed a website of my photographs for general viewing. I originally used so called "free" website making programs, however, at the end of weeks of work, I found I could only host it with the program designated, and at exhorbitant rates.  I have recently re-constructed the site using MICROSOFT PUBLISHER 98.  It has several "templates" that can be adapted for what you want, and best of all, it is really "free".  Well, it cost me £5.00 at a carboot sale, but I use it for all my letters, and posters, and even for my menu`s when I had a tea room !.
I digress.... My problem lies in the fact that I want to be able to add new pages to the original without changing the "links" on the menu list.
Each page is a "SUBJECT PAGE", and has a title..... buildings..... nautical.... animal.... etc.,
I want to be able to add a page2  or 3  or 4, etc., as I add more photographs....
I can do this whilst the website is on my computer, but can I do this whilst it is "live" on the net?
Do I have to remove the whole website and make additions, then upload it all again. ?
OR
Can I re-do (say) page 3 (buildings) add a couple more pages to it, and put "next page" links at the bottom of each page. and then up load the "new" page 3?
If the latter, How do I do that?  Does the system automatically replace the old page with the new?
Your comments and information would be most helpful..... bearing in mind that they must be in the simplest of terms, as I am not "Website" orientated ! ! !
Thanks
Shutter
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How do I add pages to my website?

Without going into great detail.
if you use FireFTP in Firefox it is just like working with files and folders on your PC so you can add or replace individual folders or files. So basically if it is working on your PC then you can copy the changes to your website.
samuria
Grafter

You upload you webpages to the ftp site and then its live.
If you change anything on your pc you can upload it without having to delete anything as long as you overright files and upload any new files you have made.
If you tell us you URL we can advise you better when we see the site.
Publisher is one of the worse ones for making webpages as it adds loads of junk that isnt needed.
You can get loads of free web page editors or download working demos of dreamweaver or MS expression.
see
http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml
shutter
Community Veteran

Hello again,
Thanks to both for replies..... I have just put up my (modified) website (using Publisher 98)....
It`s probably not the best that can be produced, and you will probably find lots wrong with it..... I only want to showcase my photo`s,
The url for those interested is    http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk ; It has only been "live" for about 2 hours, so you will have to put the url in on your address bar, as google doesn`t know it`s there yet !!. I have submitted the url to google, but that`s as far as I got.
Now I have come across something called "meta tags" which I think are the things google and others use to find my site?
Ok. so I have my list of meta tags (generated by submitexpress) now what do I do with them?
as before.... a "noddy`s guide" please
Thanks
P.S.  a couple of "next page" links and the trade links do not work on my site..... I will have to re-do the page soonest.
Thanks again
Gerry  (shutter)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you want Google to find your site you will need to add these tags
<meta name="keywords" content="your keywords">
<meta name="description" content="what you want to say">
Next you have used page2.html for example as a link. Google will not see that - you will need to have a file index.html on each page which will be linked by page2/index.html
Can I suggest you have a look at your site using this browser which is a bit tricky to use but will show you exactly what Google sees http://lynx.browser.org/
Once you have your site as you want it you can short cut the system by creating your own Google sitemap http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ and then tell Google about it
shutter
Community Veteran

Hello Jim....
Thanks for reply....  O.k.,  You say I must add the tags.... But ...... Huh  where do I add them? .....
Will go away and try the lynx browser link and see if that shows me how to do it...... ! ?  Huh
shutter
Community Veteran

hello again jim...
just been to the lynx browser link. and I am TOTALLY baffled !... Haven`t got a clue what it`s all about, or which files I am supposed to download,  so back to the drawing board.....
Thanks
Gerry  (Shutter)
samuria
Grafter

the page
http://www.nemosphotography.co.uk/page18.html
doesnt work as all the links are dead
You never put page under construction as Google will take that as the main content you shouldn't tell google until its ready.
The first page is shouting ie all in upper case and it and the pages viewed via next are rubbish. They are all shouting
and offensive and a total waste of time as if people are going to steal them they will but it puts other off even looking
Again google will see this as most important as its on the first page so unless people are searching for copyright they wont find it.
The first page should be all about your company and site.
The pictures have dull names like img32.gig which means nothing if it was called mildenhall  clouds.gif it could be found on google.

The page are called gallery 4 etc which wont help you in google change the page names to something meaningful like dorset photos.
You page hasent got a title this is the main thing google picks up and should be different for each page and as long as you can make it.
The photos are spoiled by the text on them and you cant enlarge them make them all clickable.
Change the header you are a photographer and you would expect a great scene as the header with you best photo.
If you are a ltd company the site is illegal as you dont have your company details on it.
The contact page is a picture google will just see a picture so wont index it. You dont give a post code or a tel number so how can I ring you for an urgent job?
Fixing that lot will keep you buzy