cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I test a new website, whilst keeping my existing site "live"?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I am constructing a new website, (using a Pseudonym title.co.uk) to see what is happening, and to make sure the links work .  The website is being made in two parts.  The first part..... index.html    about.html    contact.html      and    Photo_Album.html    are being made with Dreamweaver CS3.    I want to link that part to a PhotoAlbum that I have made with another software  which can be used as a "stand alone" website/photo album.  Because of the design of the Album part, I want to put my own "front end"  and link to it..... It is hit and miss whether I can get it to work, and I will spend endless hours on it, However, I do not want to remove my existing website from the server, until I am sure it will all work properly..... Can I use my www.shutter.plus.com ; as the Pseudonym title, and up load to that using the ftp.plus,net  . as normal..... Do I have to create another htdocs folder to put my "test" site into?
OR what????? Huh Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How can I test a new website, whilst keeping my existing site "live"?

Hi shutter you will find most of your questions answered here.   Wink
[Edit]
Spelling
Denzil
Grafter

Forgive me if its a silly question, but why not test it locally? Save the whole site to a folder on your own hard drive. Paste the location into your browser address bar, or go File - Open and browse to it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi Gary,  thanks for the link.... Have read it and (nearly) understood it..... will print it  out, then go to do the necessary...
I want to be able to test it on a "live" situation, as I am not sure of what I am doing, and if it don`t work "live", then I know I should be doing something differently..... not necessarily knowing what...... but.... that`s how  I learn....
Of course, if it works "locally" as suggested, then I would have doubts whether it was because the computer was looking somewhere it shouldn`t and trying its best to help me  out  Grin Grin Tongue
Thanks to both.... may get back if I need more help, and also when it works, will be broadcasting it for everyone to look at ! ! ! Cheesy Cheesy
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
I want to be able to test it on a "live" situation, as I am not sure of what I am doing, and if it don`t work "live", then I know I should be doing something differently..... not necessarily knowing what

Well that is the way that I do it.  You sound like me.  Cheesy
John_Essex
Grafter

shutter
The way that I do this is to use Apache on one of my machines here.
You can download Apache and install it so that you will be using the same software as the server on Plusnet.
This will allow you to see if things work or not on your PC without having to upload everything first.
You can get Apache here