cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I connect to my PN broadband while not at home?

FIXED
Johndunn
Fixes: 1

How can I connect to my PN broadband while not at home?

I'm going to be away from home next week and will need to work remotely. I normally use a VPN to access my work network. I will be at a relative's house who uses BT Internet and they obviously have some sort of fire wall and I can't even connect while there. Can I plug my PN modem in at their house and expect it to work? What other options do I have?
8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: How can I connect to my PN broadband while not at home?

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Broadband to Everything Else.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Can you plug your router in? Yes

Can you expect it to work? Don't know

Is using Plusnet's residential services for work contrary to their Terms and Conditions? Yes

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Can you expect it to work? Don't know

I wouldn't have thought it would work. A line provisioned with BT Internet would be routed to BT Retail's network fro authentication , it would not be able to authenticate with PN's servers.

I don't see why your VPN wouldn't connect from a BT Internet connection, unless your work system is checking what IP you are connecting from (unlikely!). What VPN client are you using ?

As @Baldrick1 says, using your residential connection continuously for work is strictly against the T & C's although occasional use is ok. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Johndunn

Thanks for the snark, Baldrick1.
Johndunn

It's a Cisco VPN. I'll have to see why it doesn't play nicely with BT. And I only very occasionally use a VPN for work stuff on my PN connection -- I'm office based -- and will need to work remotely for two days next week.
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Johndunn

Your Plusnet router would gain synchronization to the telephone exchange however, it would not authenticate (use of broadband username and password being authorized with our server.)

@MisterW the only way this would be the case is if a static IP address was assigned.

It is possible that BT or the router are blocking access to the ports required for VPN but this could only confirmed them.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Have you tried doing a search on the BT Forum? This link looks a bit like your problem, the fix may be in message 8.   https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HomeHub-5-and-Cisco-Anyconnect-VPN-Issue/td-p/1...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Johndunn

Fix
Thanks for the help all. It was actually the BT Web Help that was interfering. See message 3 here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/Bt-Home-Hub-and-VPN-problem/td-p/114249