cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hostopia outage

decomplexity
Rising Star

Hostopia outage

Early a.m. this Saturday 28th March Hostopia webspace was repeatedly unavailable for periods for 20 minutes or so at a time (at 01.00; 02.27; 03.00; ..).
(Probably no impact for European website visitors but I have US ones as well)
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
(And if the outages were planned maintenance, any chance of PN publishing Hostopia's schedule?) 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
4 REPLIES 4
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Hostopia outage

Quote from: decomplexity
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

... not that, exactly, but the chami (visible) visit counters on HappyChild are sourced from ccgi (hostopia) and this morning were failing to load - it's been intermittently bad all day, sometimes completely out and at others a few figures loading and not others, and endless delays.
... the odd thing is, that this happened last weekend also - well, the counters disappeared Friday and as they hadn't reappeared by Saturday I went looking, only to discover that a .pl file had (somehow) been set to "zero" on attributes - couldn't change it so had to delete the file and re-upload it and put the attributes back to 755.
today's intermittent issues don't have the same cause (as last week's, here) so I was just hoping the lagging would sort itself out - stuff like that happens very occasionally and usually resolves itself (had assumed would be something to do with global changes or similar that hostopia were making to their set-ups).
as regards the time periods early today (01.00, 02.27, 03.00) I happened to be online then, but doing something else so didn't chance to look at the main site counts. Interesting that you've flagged this up, though - there may well be some connection though I'd guess that hostopia might not want their scheduled maintenance publicised.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

There's some scheduled (non-intrusive) maintenance scheduled for tomorrow morning. Nothing I'm aware of from over the weekend though. I've  a cron script that  runs every 5 minutes and that seems to have made it through unscathed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

decomplexity
Rising Star

It was down for 20 minutes this (Monday) morning from around 08.25 BST (HTTP Connects repeatedly timed out)
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Word from Hostopia:
[quote author="Hostopia"]We were experiencing intermittent issues with the web servers over the weekend when loading a webpage. For resolution, our security team had to make some modifications on the back end and the master ticket was marked resolved by our admins on 2015-03-30 06:55:17.
If we assume that the time zone is EST, then that takes us to early afternoon yesterday.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵