Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hostopia MySQL user and Database has disappeared

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hostopia MySQL user and Database has disappeared

It's well over an hour now since I posted…
Quote from: spraxyt
My database user and database has disappeared (in control panel MySQL Manager), and WordPress is giving an "Error establishing a database connection" message Sad
I wonder if Hostopia are restarting the server?

… and the problems mentioned continue. So I assume the problem mentioned is deeper rooted. Sad
David
David
18 REPLIES 18
Marteknet
Grafter

Re: Hostopia MySQL user and Database has disappeared

Plusnet have lost all my clients web sites this is a joke, Customer support is a waste of time Hostopia have really screwed things up. I pay plusnet business rates, they insisted I change from a residential account to a business account because of the extra support costs they said. My clients are asking for a rebate on their monthly charge. I am now thinking of pulling the plug on everything, I don't need this hassle. Maybe plusnet should change what their logo says from "We'll do you proud"  to "We'll mess up your web sites". (again).
Plusnet say its an extra, that's rubbish they are using it in their advertising, It costs money to run and manage servers, or have Hostopia taken over running this service for FREE!. I think not someone has to cover the cost, where do plusnet get their income, yes that's right!, from their customers. Yes we are all paying a bit for the ccgi server. Get this sorted plusnet. I've no idea just how many businesses are affected by this issue but a class action would be a good thing to get some fairness back in to how plusnet treat their long standing customer. It seems that they as only interested in getting new customers and then forgetting just how loyal some have been to them in the past.
Who picked Hostopia to manage the CCGI, Hostopia have some really bad reviews on the internet. here's just a few of them:
What users say about Hostopia (6 reviews)
Read the latest 6 reviews for Hostopia:
 Hostopia - Abi Hosting  (Poor)
 - by Kurt (lellbachbuilders.com)

Hostopia has got to be the worst host in the world. I believe they bought Abi Hosting in May 2009. They wanted the transition to be seamless, so they rewrote code, never thinking that A) programmers don't like anyone messing with their code and B) when we uploaded a new file it would clobber their attempt at correcting their issues! How f&*$ing amateurish. They are invoicing us for bandwidth overages on a site that isn't gettiing any traffic at all. They can't even find our hosting...  read more ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hostopia Is Terrible!!!!  (Poor)
 - by Fred (clearairtools.com)

Hostopia bought the shared hosting side of Aplus.net. After 3 weeks their technical support has finally managed to published an archived version of our web site that was more than a year old and a backup version of our Miva store. They did so without our knowledge or permission while the published, current version of our web site and Miva store were active. Our Christmas shopping season has been wiped out and the problems still aren't resolved. This entire Migration was done under the guise of a...  read more ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hostopia's poor service on our site  (Poor)
 - by Keith (benkapulko.com)

Hostopia apparently bought our account from Aplus.net, and have created a huge mess. Repeated attempts to fix problems through their generic call screeners have been incredibly frustrating. With the old company, we dealt with technical people on the rare occasions when we had problems. Now we speak to people with no technical knowledge, who can't handle our problems, and don't follow up with our issues.   read more ...

what a bunch of crooks  (Poor)
 - by Robin (smallshiptrips.com)

Hostopia bought the customer assets of uplinkearth in June (nobody bothered to tell us). Impossible to manage any websites or domains with their really awful interface. Attempts to connect via Ftp are hit or miss; mostly miss, and when you contact technical support they tell you that its all your fault. And none of my websites worked after they took over; they screwed the Dns and lost my data. Now when I try to call or email to get my domain registrations transferred they never answer the phone ...  read more ...

Stay away.  (Poor)
 - by Cameron (amadorhigh.org)

Hostopia is company that sells reseller hosting. I have had many problems with them. In the past I had php scripts locking up for no reason, making most of the site non-functional. Their database reliability is extremely poor, most of the time I could not make a script actually connect to the database. They also use some really poor internal server setup, which causes unnecessary problems (especially with asp.net). Overall just stay away from any company that uses Hostapia's resellar hosting.   read more ...

Hostopia just plain sucks.  (Poor)
 - by Dis (thunderbayrentalproperties.co)

Pretty much sucks, they are a outsourcing company for local and other isp retailers. There server policies are draconian, and they give you no meaningful way to manage your website/database(their control panel sucks) and the shell is basically only good for changing permissions on files. I had an issue with being locked out of database constantly, they kept crying that it was my script was using persistent connections, i fixed that, then it still happened and they cried it was now my scripts not...  read more ...
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Marteknet
Who picked Hostopia to manage the CCGI, Hostopia have some really bad reviews on the internet. here's just a few of them:
What users say about Hostopia (6 reviews)
Read the latest 6 reviews for Hostopia:

I just went and looked on Google to find those reviews - dates for the six quoted, range from August 2007 to March 2010, apparently.  I didn't discover massive volumes of hostopia reviews anywhere, tbh, though there were 21 here (all dated 2013) which are so unremittingly positive it's hard to believe they describe the same company.
However hostopia would appear to be a big enterprise with operations in several countries - their "migration" page is here - though the quality of service (or capabilities) may well not be consistent in all geographical areas.
The current "catalogue of errors" evident with ongoing migrations (as all too clearly detailed on this forum) is significantly worrying, but I trust that hostopia will prove capable of raising their game and working actively - and swiftly - to sort things out. There's enough technical know-how been provided on this side of the fence - ie by PN and all the technical people who post here - for much of this already to have been resolved by hostopia, so it's somewhat puzzling that there are clearly so very many issues.
It does occur to me to wonder what facilities there will be "post migration" for PN customers to engage actively, to get subsequent issues resolved - it seems unlikely that hostopia is the sort of enterprise that welcomes the degree of interaction with its customers that Force9/PN has always enabled - I guess I'd have more confidence in that if hostopia had put in some sort of appearance on these forums (unless I've missed something somewhere).  Realistically "one size fits all" isn't going to work for the bulk of the active F9/PN ccgi account set-ups, so I really hope hostopia are now going to pull out all the stops and make whatever accommodations are necessary to get all the F9/PN ccgi accounts fully working in the new location.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

It's well over an hour now since I posted…
My database user and database has disappeared (in control panel MySQL Manager), and WordPress is giving an "Error establishing a database connection" message Sad
I wonder if Hostopia are restarting the server?

… and the problems mentioned continue. So I assume the problem mentioned is deeper rooted. Sad

Taking a look now David...
Plusnet have lost all my clients web sites this is a joke, Customer support is a waste of time Hostopia have really screwed things up.

Looking at your account, the problem seems to be with your DNS configuration rather than anything we or Hostopia have done. I'll take a look and see if I can fix things for you.
Plusnet say its an extra, that's rubbish they are using it in their advertising

Where?
It costs money to run and manage servers, or have Hostopia taken over running this service for FREE!

No they haven't. We had two choices really. Decommission the CGI platform or pay to have something replace it. We chose the latter.
Who picked Hostopia to manage the CCGI, Hostopia have some really bad reviews on the internet.

I don't think those (very dated) reviews are a good reflection. Hostopia have a huge client base and have undergone significant organisational changes since those reviews were written (not least being acquired by another company).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Marteknet
Grafter

Quote from: Penny
are so unremittingly positive it's hard to believe they describe the same company.

Their  "migration" page as you pointed out is positively glowing with successful migration data, but I remind you that after all it is their page, are they going to use any negative data in their advertising. I think not.
I have attempted to see what's going on by accessing the databases via the new control pages which are user violent, the file transfer page is so slow it a joke! only one file can be picked at a time to be added to a transfer list, it takes ages to build a transfer list and to do even do simple things. I looked in to their guide so I could set up FileZilla to make this more user friendly. I have followed the info only to find that the server is not accepting FTP connection. I've tested this via Windows DOS FTP and connections are refused.
The Mysql Admin doesn't work!. Angry  I have now after much scratching of my head installed my own version of Mysql Admin, this works. I now find that on the mysqlV4 host that there are no databases set up. On the mysqlv5 host there is indeed a database but not tables have been added. It holds no data at all, its completely empty.
Why on earth did they send me an email on 5/2/2014 saying "Your new CGI Webspace is ready" when it clearly is not. Didn't anyone think to check that things has worked correctly first!
Forgetting the reviews I can certainly say from my experience that those that others seem to be having that someone should have made sure that Hostopia were reliable and could quickly fix any errors.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I looked in to their guide so I could set up FileZilla to make this more user friendly. I have followed the info only to find that the server is not accepting FTP connection. I've tested this via Windows DOS FTP and connections are refused.

Are you sure you're using the correct server address?
C:\Windows\System32>ftp ccgi.******.force9.co.uk
Connected to ccgi.******.force9.co.uk.
220 Website FTP Server Ready
User (ccgi.martek.force9.co.uk:(none)): ccgi.martek.
331 Password required for ccgi.martek.force9.co.uk.

You set the master FTP password using the FTP Manager application in the Control Panel.
The Mysql Admin doesn't work!. Angry  I have now after much scratching of my head installed my own version of Mysql Admin, this works. I now find that on the mysqlV4 host that there are no databases set up. On the mysqlv5 host there is indeed a database but not tables have been added. It holds no data at all, its completely empty.

There should only really be a single MySQL5 database. Speaking to Hostopia I think they've created two where they've struggled with certain database interactions whilst migrating the data (bear in mind we're moving from MySQL4 to MySQL5). If you had database content on the old platform then it should be visible on the new one. Can you please point me in the direction of an area of your site that relies on connectivity to your database? Something that's not working as expected. If you'd prefer, raise a support ticket instead and provide me with the reference number. I'm confident we can fix anything you're having problems with.
Why on earth did they send me an email on 5/2/2014 saying "Your new CGI Webspace is ready" when it clearly is not. Didn't anyone think to check that things has worked correctly first!

Yes the sites are QA'd using test scripts and a selection inspected by hand. Unfortunately, it is not practical to have a human check all 10,000 accounts as part of the migration.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Marteknet
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Yes the sites are QA'd using test scripts and a selection inspected by hand. Unfortunately, it is not practical to have a human check all 10,000 accounts as part of the migration.

If they are so bloody busy how can they find time to delete all my database tables after I spent the best part of a day manually creating and populating them on the new Mysql server.
I give up. you win, you lose. I will spend my hard earned money elsewhere and get the service I am paying for.
If there are really 10,000 customers with ccgi based web sites and a lot are being affected by migration issues then maybe they should all get together and start a class action to recover their loses.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Whilst I recognise you're not happy, I'm still not certain what has happened to your webspace and what aspects of your site have been broken. I have also asked for clarification in reply to the support ticket you raised.
Why did you have to manually populate the database, it should have been copied across automatically from the old platform?
It's fairly trivial for us to re-import it, however I need to better understand your problem before I can do anything about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Marteknet
Grafter

I have opened tickets to customer support, and telephoned them a few times about all the issues, basically, all the html & php code was migrated a while back, all my web sites are 100% sql driven with dynamic content that my customers can update via allocated pages they can alter text content, design simple pages, upload graphics. the php code consists of page templates and scripts to pull info for the page content this being locations of linked graphics, text, prices, http link and email addresses. This info is then used to populate the web pages that are then displayed.
One web site has over 1,100 Albums of country Artists listed , Another has a Calendar of coming events and a Menu with prices listed. all this info can be changes in an instant  by my clients (well they used to be able to till this week).
I found that though the code and some graphics had been migrated, by the look of things over a week ago. The actual database had not been set up in the new mysql sever and if it is done now then it will not match the content that was moved over a week earlier. Someone should have thought about this time lag because php/sql is mainly used for dynamic pages. There is no point in moving graphics one week and then moving the database that accesses them more than a week later.
Plusnet customer support was told all about this, I waited and waited some more. I got fed up waiting, my clients are continually asking when will their web sites be working properly. I then opened myphpadmin, my own version because there are issues with the one on the control panel, I spent the best part of the day creating tables in the mysql v5 database and populating them with data. I then went and started changing the host, user, database and password variables held in the scripts that access the mysql database, at last pages started to have the content that they should. I had completed making these changes to one web site and was well in to changing the second one, when I found that the content was not displaying anymore. I took a look at the mysql databases again to check the tables only to find that they had all been deleted.
I can not point you to a precise part of a web page that is affected by this as its nearly 99% of the pages that are.
To get to the point without a mysql database hardly any page will have to desired content displayed.
What are Plus net going to do about this? the answer would be for you to migrate the databases again, email me the details (host,user,database,password) that my php scripts need to connect with the database. and leave me to amend the actual php code.
And not to delete the database tables again. Angry
Adie:quote
Marteknet
Grafter

Still there has been no action by Plusnet to fix this, not even an email has been received about any progress, I'm paying the business rate they set nearly £27 a month to have my web sites trashed through no fault of my own, they have been working correctly for ages, one had over 1,090,000 page hits. its not my programming or the way things were set up by me, the track record of hits and links in Google to ccgi.thecountrysideofirish.co.uk , ccgi.37club.co.uk , ccgi.martek-net.co.uk prove this. Things went pear shaped when these web sites were migrated.  I'm taking my custom elsewhere I've had enough of plusnet and I would strongly advise anyone not to have anything to do with them.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Has PN made a mistake?  Seemingly yes but the impact to you, and reaction by you, is excessive because you have decided to base a hosting business running on free space provided by an ISP rather than a real hosting provider?  Do your customers know this?  Still, at least you're not losing money:
IN NO EVENT SHALL Martek-Net© OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT OR THE PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT SERVICES, EVEN IF Martek-Net© HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Apart from the apparent breach of the business T&C's (See clause 5.21 here), I suspect that the libelous mis-use of the Plusnet logo on your current holding page may not help matters!
Marteknet
Grafter

For your info I originally had a residential account it was Plus net who insisted I change to their Business Package saying that as I was running web sites for clients than I was a business. They were advertising these Business packages at the time I joined them, They were using the fact that they supplied a CCI option in their advertising. So that shoots your comment out of the air. The package I was sold was the teleworker package. I do NOT sell web sites I rent them, while I am covered for any lose that my clients may incur I can not charge them their monthly rental charge when they do not have a working web site so you are wrong yet again.
With all due respect get your facts right.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have opened tickets to customer support, and telephoned them a few times about all the issues, basically, all the html & php code was migrated a while back, all my web sites are 100% sql driven with dynamic content that my customers can update via allocated pages they can alter text content, design simple pages, upload graphics. the php code consists of page templates and scripts to pull info for the page content this being locations of linked graphics, text, prices, http link and email addresses. This info is then used to populate the web pages that are then displayed.

Which I/ completely understand. All I was asking for is a handful of examples so I can work out what's gone wrong and fix the problem.
I found that though the code and some graphics had been migrated, by the look of things over a week ago. The actual database had not been set up in the new mysql sever...

Which is a problem. Both static content and your database should have been migrated at the same time.
I then opened myphpadmin, my own version because there are issues with the one on the control panel, I spent the best part of the day creating tables in the mysql v5 database and populating them with data. I then went and started changing the host, user, database and password variables held in the scripts that access the mysql database, at last pages started to have the content that they should.

Again, these are all things that should have been done on your behalf as part of the migration Huh
I had completed making these changes to one web site and was well in to changing the second one, when I found that the content was not displaying anymore. I took a look at the mysql databases again to check the tables only to find that they had all been deleted.

I have no idea why that would have happened but I'll look into it.
I can not point you to a precise part of a web page that is affected by this as its nearly 99% of the pages that are.

Which should make it easy? As mentioned above, I was only after a handful of examples.
What are Plus net going to do about this? the answer would be for you to migrate the databases again, email me the details (host,user,database,password) that my php scripts need to connect with the database. and leave me to amend the actual php code.

Happy to do that, if you can provide the information I've asked for?
Whilst I recognise you've now requested your domains are transferred elsewhere, I'm still keen to get to the bottom of what happened here so it doesn't happen again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Thunderclap
Grafter

For clarification, may I ask where exactly [on the planet] are the new Hostopia servers and services that PlusNet has migrated it's customer to?
I note one TLD is the rather euphamistic dot-EU? In other words, whose legal jurisdiction is applicable for example, over the data on a MySQL database?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You could try a Google search for Hostopia data centre locations. The links after the ads at the top give some strong clues.
David