cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting

Ian22
Dabbler

Hosting

I have Plusnet Fibre 250 .( Residential ?) . I have two letting flats  . I have bought some domain names with a view to increasing bookings  . My plan is to have a picture and some text with 3 or 4 links to booking sites &c . Is there a suitable Plusnet hosting product for this  or would I be better to set up off the peg Hosting ? I do not plan to start taking bookings myself
20 REPLIES 20
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hosting

Hi there,
Doesn't look like your account has any webspace associated with it at the moment. I've assigned you 250MB of webspace which should be available for use within 24 hours. Details for accessing the service can be seen here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ian22
Dabbler

Thank you Bob Pullen I have printed the here page  . I have a page which may be ready to put up but am going for a short break . Thank you again . I see the website in the members log in
Ian22
Dabbler

Bob Pullen you have been most helpful however "SiteSpinner" less so they will not recognise 212.159.101.144 or ftp.plus.net  and IF I could take the page over to you there is no box to enter  /htdocks . I imagine they may not want to let me go .. Can you recommend somewhere for me to build the page again  compatible with Plusnet . I have a title , a picture , a little text and three live links to booking agents (no e-mail no shopping or anything  ). The only future additions that I plan are other domain names . So a simple page builder rather than a rival web host ? Perhaps you can recommend one ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

SiteSpiner should work just fine using these settings:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ian22
Dabbler

Bob Pullen. Thanks again . A rather late view of Sitespinner's FAQs says that an update fixes a known bug in publishing  . Done that now but I have meanwhile upset one of their defaults I will reset it to default if I can find it again with THEIR help (Hopefully)  and I have a printout of your very helpful screen shot for my next attempt . Will get there in the end (hopefully) .
Ian22
Dabbler

I find I shall have to start another "project" with Site spinner as the present one just gets worse and worse . I would like to use "Wordpress" instead . Is it compatible with Plusnet ? 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Wordpress will only work on our CGI servers Ian that you don't have access to (it's a legacy service). You can't install dynamic content on the normal Plusnet FTP platform I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ian22
Dabbler

Thanks again Bob . I got two books on Wordpress and it seemed just the thing  . I have got more ambitious now and want  also be readable by phone and tablet and have QR Codes and also a counter totalling site visits . I think an upgrade to SiteSpinner Pro would do the trick but would rather start again . Can you recommend a Webbuilder compatible with Plusnet  ? I take it that I will not be able to build it on the page  like Wordpress . Is there good software , not TOO expensive and preferably not tied in with a hosting service ?   
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Potentially the same website can be viewed on phone and tablet screens as well as laptops and desktops. I often view and respond to posts on these forums using a 7" tablet. However having a simple, larger text Contact page is worth considering - easier to read on small screens.
You can add an access counter on basic webspace using the HTML code described here.
Were you intending to add a QR code to your webpage? Normally these are used on printed media to direct people to your website. Superfluous if they are already there.
David
David
Ian22
Dabbler

David . Thanks . I see the point about QR Codes . I wish I had thought of that myself before rather spoiling the page trying to put in QR Codes which are not needed. Thanks for the html but I will leave that aside at least for the time being . [ I did programming with the ZX Spectrum and will only go there again when desperate ] . My trouble with Site Spinner is that your last attempt at publishing is taken as the start for the next with no Reset and I now will have to start again with a clean new "Project" as I have been getting more and more corrupt . I had better go to Site Spinner Pro whilst I am at It as They claim it is suitable for multi format reading . When I get there again I will try to publish with Cute next time . I can't leave the picture out as it is a killer picture of the house from across the Tay
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Sorry I'm not familiar with SiteSpinner and its capabilities. The traditional simple page builder package used to be Nvu and there's a guide to using it Creating a Website using Nvu in the Community Support Library. Unfortunately Nvu is no longer supported.
I think BlueGriffon and KompoZer originated from Nvu. BlueGriffon seems to have formal releases whereas KompoZer has development releases (betas).
The free Serif WebPlus Starter Edition is perhaps a more capable package. I believe Starter Edition users are sometimes offered the full package (currently X7) at a significant discount.
Uploading pages to the server using an FTP program should be fine. Just make sure you upload any linked pages such as CSS files the code builder might reference. Sites "Published" using packages sometimes frustrate attempts to tweak pages (eg to add a counter)  - if they don't know about it they might remove it. Just something to bear in mind if anything mysteriously vanishes.
David
David
Ian22
Dabbler

I have twice published , using your settings to www.springbankperth.co.uk (hosted by you ) a site spinner pro project . However all that is to be seen is that the web holding page is now corrupt  I attach a picture however the text will not attach  . If a junior or trainee could put up the  picture and text I could type the text here ( or attach it to an appropriately addressed e-mail)  .and pay an appropriate fee .
Ian22
Dabbler

I have uploaded Cute as you advised before I went on holiday . So if  as I expect my offer of a small task for a trainee is not inline with plusnet policy could you please restore the holding page ? and I can try again myself..
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Ian22
I have twice published , using your settings to www.springbankperth.co.uk (hosted by you ) a site spinner pro project . However all that is to be seen is that the web holding page is now corrupt.

Nothing is corrupt. Whatever you've done has simply removed all of the existing content from your webspace so there are no longer any files uploaded.
Quote from: Ian22
I have uploaded Cute as you advised before I went on holiday . So if  as I expect my offer of a small task for a trainee is not inline with plusnet policy could you please restore the holding page ? and I can try again myself..

The holding page doesn't need restoring. In fact, it's one less thing to worry about once you've managed to upload your files.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team