cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting query: can I use Apache or do I need pay-as-you-host

martinrich

Hosting query: can I use Apache or do I need pay-as-you-host

First of all apologies if all this has been covered many times before in this forum: on a quick search I couldn't find it.
For some time I've had a domain name registered through Plusnet, which points to some very simple webspace.  Now I'd like to set up a slightly more complicated site and the web designer needs to be able to use CGI, Apache, and PHP.  As far as I can tell the standard Plusnet webspace can be set up to offer CGI and PHP but not Apache.  Is this correct?
If this is correct, is there a Plusnet product which would be suitable?  Would it be a matter of migrating to pay-as-you-host, which is a Plusnet service and looks, from a quick glance at the site, right for my requirements?  And if so, is this something that's straitforward to do, given that I have just renewed the domain name registration for another two years?  Or is it the equivalent of moving the domain to another company entirely?
Martin
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Hosting query: can I use Apache or do I need pay-as-you-host

I'm not sure what you mean by "using Apache". CGI and PHP run on an Apache webserver on both Plusnet CCGI and PAYH. Did you mean "needs MySQL"?
Both servers support MySQL, but CCGI still has version 4.1.11 which is insufficient for current releases of many third party applications.
David
martinrich

OK - this question was raised by somebody who is doing some web implementation for us.  Presumably CCGI is what I have access to at the moment  with the standard Plusnet webspace so if Apache version 4.1.11 is sufficient then we could stick with that.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

"Standard webspace" is usually taken to mean the homepages servers which do not support PHP at all. On homepages files go into the /htdocs folder; if that is what you see with FTP, that is not CCGI. If CCGI is not available you would have to move domain hosting to PAYH or a third party supplier.
Note that Apache on CCGI is version 2.x it is MySQL that is version 4.1.11.
David