cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting (only) on PN server

paulcobb
Grafter

Hosting (only) on PN server

I have transferred out a domain that was registered and hosted by PN .
The registrant is now JTN.
I 'm looking for a little guidance on the basics of what I need to setup regarding MX records.
The DNS I have pointed back to PN
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
I have the option with JTN to redirect emails from the domain to another email address,
but if I want to specify email server details - what specifically do I need to do to get this working ?
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hosting (only) on PN server

Paul, if you're pointing your domain to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net then you'd also need to raise a ticket on your PN account asking that we bring the domain in for hosting only.
Once this has been done your domain will point to your PN webspace and your email will automatically be routed to your PN mailboxes.
Is that what you're trying to achieve?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulcobb
Grafter

Yes that's what I am trying to achieve.
I have rasied ticket and the domain has been moved back again.
I thought that I would have to specify email servers myself in the JTN panel
pcoventry
Grafter

Morning Paul,
If you are sitting it on the PN nameservers then you just need to use mail.plus.net
paulcobb
Grafter

OK I have specified mail.plus.net in the JTN panel.
I have some other accounts that I currently have hosted & registered with PN, if I want to transfer the registration to JTN and still host them, is it better to raise a ticket to get that done or do the transfer myself then ask for the domains to be transfered back in again.
I'm trying to minimise the downtime - especially of email.
pcoventry
Grafter

Sorry, we got mixed up. I meant this what you will need for the incoming mail servers. The servers given by Bob need to go into your JTN control panel to point the domain to our servers
paulcobb
Grafter

No thats' ok - I did understand what you were saying and that has worked ok.
I have some other accounts that I currently have hosted & registered with PN, if I want to transfer the registration to JTN and still host them, is it better to raise a ticket to get that done or do the transfer myself then ask for the domains to be transfered back in again.
I'm trying to minimise the downtime - especially of email.

Any suggestions here plz
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, don't use JTN as they are too expensive. Use 1and1 or daily.co.uk or one of the many other reg companies that are cheaper.
For .co.uk domain, just go to the domains page, click transfer out and enter the IPS TAG for the new reg company. When it has transfered out, change the name servers back to plusnet on the new reg companies control panel then when that has actioned, raise a ticket and ask for the domain to be hosted on your account.
For .com etc this is much more complex so you are best to raise a ticket and ask what the process is.
aaronbennett
Dabbler

Secondly, do research general customer feedback on these competitors including hidden costs and awkward terms. Our prices are very reasonable and similar to many other quality RSPs.
For any Plusnet to JTN transfer, please feel free to drop an email to support@just-the-name.co.uk, and we will be happy to examine your present setup, and manage the transfer process internally, mirroring perfectly your existing configuration so as to complete a seamless transition for you.