cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting home webserver and traffic management.

JasonMassey
Grafter

Hosting home webserver and traffic management.

I host a small non commercial website using Windows Server and Internet Information Services (port 80) over residential PlusNet fiber unlimited.   I was looking at the PlusNet traffic management rules below and wondering where this traffic would sit.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Am I correct in thinking my hosting traffic would be classified as 'Gold' during normal operation, or would it fall into 'Other' traffic?
Happy PlusNet customer here , but just generally curious about the above.
Thanks
Jason  Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Hosting home webserver and traffic management.

Prioritisation applies only on the incoming requests to your server, and I'd expect those to be Gold. Your server responses are not assigned a priority since there is no point - they've passed through the bottleneck by the time they reach Plusnet.
David
David
avatastic
Grafter

I don't think it would be classified at all, as it is technically an upload not a download, and there is no traffic management on uploads.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yep, inbound traffic would be in the Gold queue, outbound traffic is irrelevant because it's not managed in the same way.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JasonMassey
Grafter

Thanks everyone for clarifying this. 
I have a Draytek router with QOS enabled, I've set this to give minimum % of traffic between my home server and regular PC's.  Not as fine grain as packet inspection, but giving at least some management to my outbound data.
Re PlusNet not managing outbound traffic in same way,  is this just simply as by the time packets are received by PlusNet they are already received, so pointless providing the QOS for these.
Thanks again

avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: JasonMassey
Re PlusNet not managing outbound traffic in same way,  is this just simply as by the time packets are received by PlusNet they are already received, so pointless providing the QOS for these.

Correct, by the time they've left your DSL modem they've already passed the biggest bottleneck in the system so any QoS would be ineffective.
Cheers,
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Kind of. The only merit in us prioritising your outbound traffic would be if it benefited you in some way. It wouldn't because the traffic's already left your network. Think about how inbound traffic flows:
Internet > Plusnet Network > Traffic Management Switch > Aggregation router > You
Now think about that in reverse:
You > Aggregation router > Traffic Management Switch > Plusnet Network > Internet
The bit of kit that does the magic only enters the equation once traffic has left your network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JasonMassey
Grafter

Thanks again for the explanation and fully understand what your saying above.
Something interesting I noticed yesterday however.
I was running a P2P, not sometime I use often but still.  The P2P upload speed was showing full capacity.
While the P2P was uploading at full speed, I then did a Speedtest.net benchmark.  During the upload test, I noticed the P2P client upload rate dramatically reduce, also Speedtest reported an upload speed around 90% of my maximum upload speed.
So something, either in your network or mine, has identified the Speedtest traffic running on a browser is higher priority than the P2P upload traffic.
As mentioned I do have QOS enabled on my Draytek, however I don't believe there is any default rules that would separate P2P from browser traffic, I have not set anything specific for this.
This is just my theory.  Does PlusNet still do some traffic management relating to above, is it possible your slowing the acknowledgment (ACK) packets thus slowing down the P2P correctly allowing higher priority packets more bandwidth.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

... is it possible your slowing the acknowledgment (ACK) packets thus slowing down the P2P correctly allowing higher priority packets more bandwidth.

Seems logical enough.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic

Correct, by the time they've left your DSL modem they've already passed the biggest bottleneck in the system so any QoS would be ineffective.
Cheers,
A.

Indeed that and most ISP's who offer Asynchronous connections such as DSL tend have plenty of backhaul capacity in the outbound direction since the Backhaul fibre links are usually synchronous and by adding additional capacity to support everyone's downloading habits the side effect is they also increase the bandwidth in the other direction even though there's much less demand for it.
Even if the connections were Synchronous the traffic profile for most residential ISP's tends to be more Inbound traffic than Outbound traffic.

Data center traffic graphs might show an interesting picture these-days as it will depend on what type of services are being hosted at that facility, Servers belonging to a backup company will probably have a very different traffic profile than ones hosting websites.