cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting domain names

suzyb
Grafter

Hosting domain names

I asked for my domain name to be hosted with plusnet and now have the entry in the existing domains section.
It currently says 'awaiting confirmation from registrar' however I need the website URL to be live ASAP. If I change the nameservers for the domain and setup a redirect will this mess up the process with plus net or will I be able to set up what I need to with plus net but still have the url forwarded.
18 REPLIES 18
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Hosting domain names

How long has it been in that state. If its more than 2 days raise a ticket and get it investigated.
I don't understand what you mean by 'change nameservers for the domain'? In order to host it on PN you must set the nameservers to PNs own and you cannot change them to anything else once hosted.
suzyb
Grafter

I'll try and explain better, wasn't exactly fully awake this morning.
I've uploaded a website to my cgi space that I want the domain to point to.  I purchased the domain through luckyregister.com, set the name servers in their control panel to point to plus net then raised the ticket to get the domain added to my account.
This is the stage it is at just now however I really need the site to be live using the url.  So what I did was change the name servers via luckyregister's control panel to 'park' the domain (think thats the term) on their name servers and forward it to my cgi address.
What I was wondering would be if I could still go through the process outlined in this http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/14 and when set up on plus net, change the name servers on luckyregister to the plus net ones.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You cannot use your webspace unless the PN webservers know about the domain.
What you have done is mess up the DNS and hosting on PN by changing the DNS back to your registrar without telling PN you no longer want to host it.
You need to change the names servers back to PN, raise another ticket explaining what you did and asking for the domain to be hosted, then wait for that process to complete (normally 2 or 3 days). Only then can you add the necessary entries in the DNS section of the domain to point the domain to your ccgi webspace.
The tutorial if for domains hosted on PN.
suzyb
Grafter

Sorry, the way I understood things was that the server the domain was to be hosted on could be set up before the name servers were changed.  I'm sure this is how the IT guy at the last place I worked did it.
I also thought the 2-3 days was for the name server changes to propagate through all DNS servers on the internet and not one specific.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Companies differ in the way things can be setup. You can setup the website before the move but you can't use your new domain for it until the transfer and DNS updates have been completed.
There are several parts to the transfer process:
1) Change of DNS to PN
2) getting CS to add the domain to your account and to PN DNS servers.
3) Waiting for the change of hosting to be confirmed.
4) Changing the DNS to point your domain to your CCGI webspace.
It all takes time, the transfer can take several days to complete and the DNS changes up to 48 hours to propogate.
suzyb
Grafter

Thanks.  If only someone had been awake as late as me last night to explain that  Roll_eyes
The domain has been added to my account as I had the name servers pointing to plus net initially so I'm guessing I'm at the 3rd step which is what 'awaiting confirmation from registrar' means.
Another quick question.  Once the domain is live, will I be able to set up a redirect from the default url i.e. ccgi.username.plus.com.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You said you had changed them back after informing PN you wanted the domain hosted. If that is the case then the transfer is in a bit of a mess and can never complete unless the name servers are set to PN.
As I stated earlier, you need to make sure the name servers are set to PN and raise another ticket explaining what you did and ask CS to fix the problematic transfer.
suzyb
Grafter

They are set to Plus Net and I have added more information to the ticket I raised to get the domain added since it was still open.
Again, thank you for the advice.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
In order to host it on PN you must set the nameservers to PNs own and you cannot change them to anything else once hosted.

Yes you can. I have two domains both of which were set up to be hosted by PN. I then changed the nameservers and set up A records to point back to PN.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

And as I explained in your other thread, that is not how it should work.
itsme
Grafter

Need a member of the comms team to confirm what one can do.
As I see it so long as PN servers, web,ccgi etc, have been setup to accept a domain it's immaterial what nameservers are used. Only need to add the A records for PN servers in the DNS records.
suzyb
Grafter

CS have changed the CGI service to basic for me but the guy said it would take 12 hours to take effect.  Is this just on the PN servers or the web in general.
Also can I get the default URL ccgi.username.plus.com to redirect or point to my domain.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the domain doesn't have our nameservers then no matter what DNS records are set up on our side they shouldn't work as we have absolutely no control over the domain.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
itsme
Grafter

How do PN know what nameservers are being used? I have not use PN nameservers for 11 months and I can still access the web space on PN servers.